Sustained Change, Continuous Improvement
- Overview & Summary. Progressive standards-based grading practices are the norm for elementary, middle and high schools in Regional School Unit (RSU) 16.
- Case Study: "Sustained Change, Continuous Improvement"
- Video - Owning Their Own Reading: Learner-centered Literacy. The staff of Elm Street School come together to use Caf? and Daily Five protocols to increase student ownership and engagement in learning to read.
- Video - History Day: Integrated Performance Assessment. "All hands on deck" for History Day, as the students of Bruce M. Whittier Middle School shine for their community and demonstrate attainment of standards across content areas and in 21st century skills.
- The Takeaway. A short conversation with Poland Regional High School (PRHS) Principal Cari Medd about her new school's journey.
- RSU 16 website
- Roundtable Handbook (PDF, 928KB). Guide for PRHS's advisor/advisee program, in which every student is enrolled.
- Habits of Work (HOW) Rubrics (RTF, 64KB). Bruce M. Whittier Middle School uses these academic and behavior rubrics to score their students on a proficiency-based scale.
- Sophomore Exhibition Presentation Rubric (RTF, 113KB). PRHS students complete this career exploration project during their sophomore year.
- Senior Celebration Packet (RTF, 358KB). The Senior Celebration is an opportunity for students to learn about something that fascinates them, which they wouldn't normally have time to investigate.
- Faculty Grading Guide 2013 (RTF, 454KB). An explanation of the new proficiency-based grading system for PRHS teachers.
- A Guide to Grading and Reporting (PDF, 66KB). This grading system visual also provides answers to related frequently asked questions.
- Unit Planning Template (RTF, 3.6MB). Standards-based unit planning template for PRHS teachers.
- Sample report cards from RSU 16:
This Center for Best Practice is a collaboration between the Maine Department of Education and the Nellie Mae Education Foundation, made possible by the contributions of the Maine schools that share their stories.