Related governmental, non-governmental and private organizations involved in Agriculture and Natural Resources Education
Maine has a very active Agriculture & Natural Resources Education community, reaching Maine students and citizens of all ages. Although the organizations associated with this community are constantly increasing and changing, the following list may provide some helpful resources. Should any organization wish to be added to this listing, they may contact the Agriculture & Natural Resources specialist.
Maine Educational Farms
These locations provide educational tours and presentations to schools and other groups.
- Aldemere Farm, Rockport. Farm breeds Belted Galloway cattle and conducts tours and programs.?
- The Chewonki Foundation, Wiscasset. Coastal farm that provides a “semester school” as well as day programs, camps and trips.?
- The Morris Farm Trust, Wiscasset. Working farm that offers field trips, after-school programs and demonstrations.?
- Washburn-Norlands Living History Center, Livermore. Historic farm that features tours and programs.?
- The Page Farm & Home Museum, University of Maine, Orono. Agricultural museum offering tours and events.?
- Wolfe’s Neck Farm, Freeport. Farm specializing in sustainable agriculture and beef production, proving field trips, tours, camps and programs.?
Maine Government Agencies
These agencies’ mandates and programs are closely connected to Agriculture & Natural Resources Education.
- Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station, University of Maine, Orono.?Maintains research locations across the state.
- Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. Offers ongoing programs, access to parks, extension programs and outreach related to agriculture and natural resources.
- Bureau of Geology, Natural Areas and Coastal Resources. Division of Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry that provides information on land and environments.
- Division of Parks & Public Lands. Division of Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry that deals with outdoor resources and programs.?
- Land Use Planning Commission. Nine-member independent board under Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry that oversees rules and public hearings related to some Maine lands and resources.?
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection. Organization responsible for protecting and restoring Maine’s natural resources and enforcing the state’s environmental laws. Maine DEP provides outreach and training.?
- Maine Association of Conservation Districts. Locally managed entities that provide outreach, training and technical assistance.?
- County Offices. Map and contact information.
- University of Maine Cooperative Extension. Helps support, sustain and grow food-based economy; provides information, outreach and programs; manages 4-H Program.?
Maine Non-Profit Organizations
These groups provide educational programs related to Agriculture & Natural Resources Education.
- Eagle Hill Institute, Steuben. Offers scientific seminars, workshops and lectures related to natural history and trails.?
- Maine Agriculture in the Classroom Association. Organization that provides teacher trainings, outreach and educational grants.?
- Maine Audubon. Offers environmental education for all ages, camps, research, conservation and policy advice.?
- Maine Environmental Educators Association. Promotes environmental education in Maine, informs groups, individuals and educators on issues and events, and organizes the annual statewide conference.?
- Environmental Education Guide. Listing of environmental organizations in Maine, including contact information.
- Maine 4-H. Administers youth leadership and educational programs related to agriculture and community.?
- Maine FFA Association. Youth leadership organization for middle and high school students enrolled in classes related to agriculture and natural resources. The association provides training, classroom presentations, scholarships, competitions and awards.?
- Maine School Garden Network. Helps introduce school gardens and related curriculum.?
- Maine State Grange. Oversees community and social programs, events and scholarships related to agriculture.?
- Maine Tree Foundation. Provides information, trainings and programs for teachers and students related to forestry, Project Learning Tree.?
- Project WILD. Manages conservation education programs and trainings for teachers and students grades K-12.?
Maine Promotion Boards & Sites
These organizations provide resources for promoting Maine agricultural products.
- Agricultural Council of Maine. Organization that represents the interests of Maine producers.
- Maine Aquaculture Association. Promotes purchase of Maine aquaculture products, providing information to growers, as well as teacher resources and recipes.? ???
- Maine Cranberries. Provides information and outreach through the University of Maine Cooperative Extension.?
- Maine Dairy & Nutrition Council. Encourages dairy foods as component of overall nutrition and provides information and representation toward these goals.?
- Maine Farm Bureau. Lobbies for issues important to agriculture, landowners and rural lifestyle, and provides information to farmers.?
- Maine Lobster Promotion Board. Promotes lobster production and sales; provides nutritional facts, recipes, cooking info and list of vendors.?
- Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association. Promotes organic farming-gardening and provides information, trainings, apprenticeships and an annual fair.?
- Maine Potato Board. Promotes production and sale of Maine potatoes, and provides grower information and updates, scholarships and recipes.?
- Wild Blueberry Association of North America. Promotes production and purchase of wild blueberries and provides information and recipes.?
These national-level groups provide Agriculture & Natural Resources Education.
- National FFA Organization. National youth leadership organization that serves teachers and students enrolled in middle-secondary agriculture and natural resources. FFA also provides membership, resources, competitions and scholarships.?
- North American Envirothon. Organizes environmental education competitions for teams of high school students and provides environmental resources for educators.??
- Project Food, Land & People. Compilation of nationally developed lessons related to agriculture and natural resources for teachers K-12, with trainings provided through Maine Agriculture in the Classroom.?
- Project Learning Tree. Nationally developed lessons related to forestry and natural resources for teachers K-12, with trainings provided through Maine Tree Foundation.
- Project WET. Nationally developed lessons related to water resources for teachers K-12.?