Career pathways are linked education and training services that enable students to advance over time to successively higher levels of education and employment in a given industry or occupational sector. Each step on a career pathway is designed to prepare students to progress to the next level of employment and education. The career pathways approach is a framework for weaving together adult education, training and post-secondary programs, and connecting those services to the workforce needs of employers.
Career Pathways Plan
Each adult education program receiving State subsidy, College Transitions grants or grants funded under the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act as part of the Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act is required to prepare a Career Pathways Plan. The plans assess a program’s current status in meeting the requirements and the steps the program will take to reach full compliance if all required components are not currently in place. For more information on the planning process, see the links below.
The deadline for submitting CP Plans is January 17, 2017.
- FY17 Career Pathways Introductory Webinar
(link to recording on September 28, 2016, 14:53min)
- Written transcript of webinar (docx, 22KB)
- FY17 Career Pathways Planning Form (docx, 33KB). FY17 Professional Development planning section(docx, 48KB)
- FY17 Career Pathways Q & A Webinar (link to recording on October 19, 2016, 46:04min)
- Written transcript of webinar (docx, 34KB)
- FY17 CP Plan Technical Assistance Webinars
- November 18, 2016 Career Pathways Component 4 - Research Based Instruction Webinar (link to recording, 24:48 min)
- November 28, 2016 Career Pathways Component 5 - Integrated Education & Training (IET) (link to recording, 71:11 min)
- Written transcript of webinar (PDF, 113KB); powerpoint slides of IET presentation (PPTX, 1.4MB)
- Materials referenced in the webinar:
- Federal Register of Adult Education and Literacy Activities (docx, 21KB)
- 2016 Integrated Education and Training Guidance (docx, 36KB)
- IET Examples:
Read examples of plans from the following institutions:
- Cambridge Community Learning Center Plan (RTF, 1.1MB)
- Contra Costa County (Calif.) Office of Education (PDF, 337KB). Points of Entry Career Pathways Plan.
- Literacy West NY, Inc. Plan (RTF, 2.06MB)
- Massena - Gateway to College and Careers Program (PDF, 903KB)
- Creating Career Pathways in Maine (PDF, 878KB). Presentation by Pamela Tate, president and CEO, Council for Adult and Experiential Learning.
- Greener Skills: How Credentials Create Value in the Clean Energy Economy. Greener Skills outlines an American skills agenda and calls for a better, stronger, greener workforce system to support it.
- Guide to Adult Education for Work: Transforming Adult Education to Grow a Skilled Workforce. This guide outlines specific steps that policymakers, program administrators and providers can take to begin transforming their current adult education programs into Adult Education for Work programs. Provided by the National Center on Education and the Economy, Workforce Development Strategies Group.
- Integrating Adult Basic Education into Career Pathways. Resource for integrating a career pathways approach into Adult Basic Education.
- Office of Vocational & Adult Education (OVAE) Connection, Issue 94: Career Pathways (RTF, 50KB). OVAE newsletter specific to career pathways.
- Template for Getting Started with Career Pathways. State decision points for beginning a career pathways program.
- Career Pathways Toolkit from the Community College Bridges to Opportunity Initiative (PDF, 2.5MB). A resource for state and local leaders working to expand education, training and learning opportunities for America's current and emerging workforce.
- How to Build Bridge Programs that Fit into a Career Pathway. A step-by-step guide based on the Carreras en Salud Program in Chicago.
- Funding Career Pathways: A Federal Policy Toolkit. CLASP developed the Funding Career Pathways and Career Pathway Bridges Toolkit to help interagency state teams identify and use federal resources to support these models.
- Guide to Coordinated Funding Streams (PDF). Steps and strategies for engaging partners, developing interagency agreements and implementing programs and services that utilize multiple funding sources. Provided by the National Adult Education Professional Development Consortium.
- Pathways and LD 1780 (PDF, 2.6MB). Presentation by Maine DOE Adult Education director.