Federally and State-Funded Grants & Programs
The US Department of Education Office of Career, Adult and Technical Education makes grants available to support adult basic education and literacy activities. Funding requires various written reports identifying progress or end-of-year performance.
- Adult Education & Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) Grant. The AEFLA, enacted as Title II of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998, is the principal source of federal support for adult basic and literacy education programs for adults who lack basic skills, a high school diploma or proficiency in English.
- English Literacy Civics Grant. For projects that provide and increase access to English literacy programs in which civics education takes place.
State Funded Grants and Programs - The Maine State Legislature funds grants for the Maine College Transition program and also provides State Subsidy to support adult basic education, high school completion and high school equivalency tests..
- Maine College Transitions Grants - Program administration information for the Maine College Transition program
- Local school districts and other eligible agencies that provide mandated adult education programs are reimbursed by the Maine DOE. Listing of state subsidy FY 2015.
- ConnectME Technology Grants. The Maine Department of Education Office of Adult Education and Family Literacy in collaboration with the ConnectME Authority is awarding grants to improve teaching with technology and providing improved technical capability for adult education programs. The grants are funded through the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act.