DEPT. OF MARINE RESOURCES
- About DMR
- Aquarium, Library, Lighthouse, Education
- Commercial Fisheries
- Councils, Meetings, etc.
- Health & Safety: Is it Safe to Eat/Swim/Fish?
- Laws and Regulations
- Marine Patrol
- Municipal Shellfish
- Recreational Fishing
- Research and Surveys
- Species Info (lobsters, clams, whales, etc.)
- Weather, Tides, Sunrise, Environmental Data
- Wetlands, Permit Review
Green Sea Urchins (Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis) in Maine
Some of the links below are PDF files, and may require Adobe Reader software (download free here) . Please visit our PDF Help page if you have trouble with PDF files, or contact Maggie Hunter if you need a different format.
- News, most recent first:
- Proposed rules for the 2013-14 fishing season, includes 15-day season for Zone 1, 38-day season for Zone 2, daily limits and mandatory logbooks for Zone 2 harvesters; public hearings 6pm June 10 in Wiscasset and June 13 in Ellsworth; public comment deadline June 24, 2013; PDF file, 14 pages
- Boston Common magazine sea urchin article, May 2013
- Zone 2 2012-13 season, with new culling-on-bottom rule for divers, and Whiting Bay/Denny's River open days, pdf file, 2 pages 56 kb
- Zone 1 2012-13 season, pdf file, 1 page, 13 kb
- Mandatory logbook reporting for Zone 1 harvesters that began in 2010 will continue into 2014. See Chapter 8.20 (P) for rule text (pdf file).
- Portland Press Herald sea urchin article, Dec. 28, 2011
- New safety training requirements for divers and tenders, effective Dec. 21, 2009
- Maine Sea Urchin Zone Council Page
- Maine Sea Urchin Fishery and Research Information
- Maine Sea Urchin Fishery Laws and Regulations (Chapter 26, PDF file)
- Commercial Fishing License Applications (see Marine Harvesting Application)
- Licensing Notes:
- Zone 1 draggers must choose an early or late season by November 15.
- Zone 1 divers who wish to change their early/late season designation must do so by September 1.
- Zone 2 harvesters who wish to change their early/late season designation must do so by August 15.
- Harvesters who wish to switch zones must apply by July 31. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. A switch from Zone 1 to Zone 2 is only allowed if there is an applicant who wishes to switch from Zone 2 to Zone 1, and vice versa.
- For more information, call the DMR licensing division at 624-6550.
This page was last updated
May 22, 2013.