Frequently Asked Questions

On this page...

How can I find out about substance abuse treatment services that are provided in Maine?

There are several ways to find treatment services available in Maine. You can find confidential treatment services by searching our online directory of "Programs & Services in Maine," and select provider type Treatment, or you can call the SAMHS Information and Resource Center at 1 (800) 499-0027 or 1 (800) 606-0215 (TTY). Maine 211

Will the Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services make a referral for an individual seeking services?

The Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services will not recommend a specific agency or clinician, however you can find all licensed agencies in the State of Maine by searching our "Programs and Services in Maine" or you can call SAMHS's Information and Resource Center.

Does the Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services provide treatment services directly?

No, the Office does not provide any direct services, including counseling or case management. It also does not provide money directly to individuals to receive services. However, SAMHS provides funds for treatment services through contracts with agencies statewide, and provides oversight and technical assistance to contracted agencies.

How can I get financial assistance for treatment if I am uninsured and not eligible for Maine Care (Medicaid)?

Funds for treatment services are provided through contracts with agencies statewide. These agencies offer services to eligible clients using a sliding fee scale. If an agency offers a sliding fee scale, that is indicated in their description on our online searchable directory of "Programs & Services in Maine."

What is the process for creating a licensed substance abuse agency in Maine?

You can find the regulations for licensing/certifying of alcohol and drug treatment programs at the DHHS licensing website or call (207) 287-4399.

How can I get professional certification as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor in Maine?

Information about fees, requirements, application forms are available on the Maine Office of Professional and Financial Regulation, Board of Alcohol and Drug Counselors web site.