Employer Post Cards/Monkey Series
Two different post cards address common misperceptions about workplace substance abuse. Office Worker/Monkey addresses the "my business doesn't have a substance abuse problem." and Construction Worker/Monkey confronts "what my employees do on their time is none of my business."
Employer Post Cards/Missing Series
Five industry-specific post cards to encourage adoption of a substance abuse policy. Wait Staff, Clerical Worker, Construction Worker, Office Worker and Warehouse worker all address what happens to the bottom line when employees either don't show up, or show up either hungover or impaired.
*Missing Construction Worker
*Missing Office Worker
*Missing Warehouse Worker
*Missing Clerk/Retail Worker
Employee Posters - two-sided 8 ½ by 11 poster can be customized with employee assistance information and local resources for employees who may need help. The poster helps support the workplace's efforts to implement a comprehensive has a substance abuse policy.
A three-paneled display has been created to be used at conferences, meetings, and business-related trade shows.
Display Rack Card
A two-sided rack card that can be handed out in conjunction with the WorkAlert Display.
Series of three 60 second radio spots that can be downloaded for local use. The messages employ humor to address the serious issue of workplace substance abuse. The call to action is to Employers to visit the WorkAlert website to develop a policy. Local versions can also be downloaded which allow time for a local tag line.
Brad's Monkey (mp3)
Steve's Out Again (mp3)
Melanie's Hangover (mp3)
Print ads are available in three versions and in two sizes for each ad (10"wide by 3.375" high & 7.5" wide by 9.75" high)
Wake Up & Smell the Coffee
Where Are They?
*What's the Hit to YOUR Bottom Line?
Online ads are available in two versions, Construction Worker/Monkey Skyscraper and Wake Up & Smell the Coffee Leader Board. Clicking on the ads sends viewers to the maine.gov/workalert website. Samples are viewable below, as well as a .zip file you can use on a web page.
Coffee Leader Board
Instructions for downloading animated, Flash Leaderboard/Skyscraper Online Ad files: Download (save) the .zip file to your hard drive. Expand the .zip file by double-clicking. Two files are in the folder, the .swf file and the .js file both need to be posted to your web server and the .swf ad file goes in your .html page.
* planned and in process. Will upload when available.
Sources for data quoted on the WorkAlert postcards:
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. (1999, July) Alcohol and the workplace. Alcohol Alert , no. 44 . Retrieved September 8, 2008, from http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa44.htm
- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (n.d.) Drugs in the workplace - what an employer needs to know.
- Carr, E., & Wright, D. (2005, Spr.) Drugs in the workplace: a dangerous combination, a collaborative solution. Construction Safety News, the magazine of the Construction Safety Council.
- O'Connell, M. & Kung, M (2007) The cost of employee turnover. Industrial Management, 49(1) 14-19.
- Maine Office of Substance Abuse (2007) The cost of alcohol and drug abuse in Maine 2005 . Augusta , ME : Author.