Data & Research
Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I get information about substance abuse in the State of Maine?

The Information and Resource Center (IRC) is a good first contact for information on substance abuse both in Maine and in the US. If the data request is information that the Data and Research Team can provide you, the IRC will refer you and/or your request on to a Data & Research team member.

2. Is data collected on the number of people in Maine who have an alcohol or drug-related problem?

Not on an ongoing basis. However, the Office uses several sources of information to estimate substance abuse treatment need. 1) The federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration conducts an annual survey that provides state-level information about substance use and treatment needs: The National Survey on Drug Use and Health.  2) The Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Treatment Data System continuously collects non-identifying information on clients who receive treatment in Maine for alcohol and other substance use problems. The system collects information on approximately 90% of the clients treated in Maine. 3) The Maine Integrated Youth Health Survey is conducted during odd numbered years and asks youth in grades 6-12 about their substance use, nutrition, and overall health.

MIYHS Frequently Asked Questions

TDS Frequently Asked Questions

PMP Frequently Asked Questions