An Online Research Guide for Maine Citizens prepared by the Information and Resource Center, Maine Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
I'm looking for...
BOOKS — LOCAL LIBRARY CATALOGS: Identify books and other resources on substance abuse and addiction in a library's collection.
- Information and Resource Center: Access the library catalog of the Maine Office of Substance Abuse.
- URSUS: The Shared Catalog of the University of Maine System, Bangor Public Library, Maine State Library, Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library and Maine State Archives.
- MAINECAT: A state-wide catalog linking more than 100 library collections contained in 10 large online library systems, including URSUS, Minerva and SOLAR
- Minerva: A combined catalog of more than 85 Maine libraries, including public, academic, school, and special libraries.
- Maine Office of Substance Abuse: Student surveys, annual data book, special reports and more!
- Maine Drug Threat Assessment: Annual predictive report from the National Drug Intelligence Center
- Crime in Maine: Maine crime data from the Uniform Crime Reporting Program.
INDEXES: Provide citations and text-links to research articles, books, government publications and reports.
EBSCO Host Databases: FREE access for all Maine citizens! Multiple indexes to popular and scholarly publications with many full-text articles provided.
ETOH: A comprehensive online bibliographic database containing over 100,000 records on alcohol abuse and alcoholism. Contains research findings from the late 1960s to December 2003.
ERIC: The world's largest source of education information, with more than 1 million abstracts of documents and journal articles on education research and practice. Coverage: 1966-present.
IDA: IDA,(Information on Drugs and Alcohol), maintained by the National Association of Children of Alcoholics, contains scientific literature relating to alcohol and substance abuse prevention and sociological literature. Provides abstracts and bibliographic records.
PubMed: PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine provides access to to over 11 million MEDLINE citations back to the mid-1960's and additional life science journals. PubMed includes links to many sites providing full text articles and other related resources.
NCJRS Abstracts Database: The NCJRS Abstracts Database contains summaries of the more than 200,000 criminal justice, juvenile justice, and substance abuse resources housed in the NCJRS Library collection.
Smoking & Health Resource Library: Items in this database focus on the scientific, medical, technical, policy, behavioral, legal, and historical literature related to smoking and tobacco use and its effect on health.
Bureau of Justice Statistics: Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics Online Data from more than 100 sources about all aspects of criminal justice in the United States
Census Bureau: For population, housing, economic and geographic data.
National Center for Health Statistics - FASTSTATS: National health data and statistics.
National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration - Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS): FARS contains data on all fatal traffic crashes within the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Data, Outcomes and Quality: The most recent surveys and national data on alcohol, tobacco and other drugs are found here.
Uniform Crime Reports (UCR): United States crime statistics.
INFORMATION & RESOURCE
CENTER: MAINE OFFICE of SUBSTANCE ABUSE and MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES: Contact our office to discuss your information needs.
1-800-499-0027 (Maine only); (207) 287-8900; Fax: (207) 287-8910; TTY: 1-800-606-0215
SAMHSA Publication Ordering: Visit the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration online store to order and/or download free treatment and prevention resources.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
Information and Resource Center
#11 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0011
1-800-499-0027 (Maine only)
TTY users call Maine relay: 711