Behavioral Health Homes are an important component of Maine's Value Based Purchasing strategy, a multi-pronged MaineCare initiative designed to improve the healthcare system, improve population health, and reduce cost. Behavioral Health Homes are a partnership between a licensed community mental health provider (the "Behavioral Health Home Organization" or BHHO) and one or more Health Home practices (an HHP) to manage the physical and behavioral health needs of eligible adults and children. Both organizations receive a per member, per month (PMPM) payment for Health Home services provided to enrolled members. Behavioral Health Homes build on the existing care coordination and behavioral health expertise of community mental health providers.
Participation in Behavioral Health Home services is entirely voluntary, and members can opt out of the service at any time.
Behavioral Health Homes, including provider requirements, are further described in Section 92 of the MaineCare Benefits Manual: http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/10/144/ch101/c2s092.docx
Behavioral Health Home Organization (BHHO) Provider Information
- List of Participating Behavioral Health Home Organizations(.pdf) Updated October, 2014
- Informational Materials for Members and Providers
- Map of Participating Behavioral Health Homes
Behavioral Health Home Information for Members
- Behavioral Health Home Brochure for Adults
- Behavioral Health Home Brochure for Children
- Behavioral Health Home Informational Page
Related Implementation Materials and Forms
- Memorandum of Understanding – Example (.pdf)
- HHP – BHHO Partnership Confirmation (.pdf)
- Summary of Key Changes, MaineCare Benefits Manual Section 92, Behavioral Health Home Services (.pdf)
- Duplication of Services Flowchart for Providers (.pdf)
- BHH Referral to HHP Flowchart (.pdf)
- HH Listing- Jan 2014 (,pdf)
Behavioral Health Homes Informational Webinar materials, February 5th, 2014
Selected Quality Measures for BHH- 11-25-2013 - Posted 10-11-13
Public Notice of Interest/ Intent (NOI) Response Summary Posted
Information has been posted from respondents to the optional NOI who gave their consent for the Department to share their information. Behavioral Health Organizations and Primary care Practices interested in participating in the Behavioral Health Homes Initiative are encouraged to utilize this list as a tool in their outreach efforts to other providers.
- BHH Public Notice of Interest/Intent Response Summary (.pdf) Updated 12/4/13
Key dates are listed below:
- October 15, 2014- Applications Open
- October 24, 2014- Informational Webinar for Interested Applicants 11:00 am. To register for the webinar, please send your organization's name, participant name, phone and email to HH-BHH-Services.DHHS@maine.gov
- November 14, 2014- Applications Close
- January 21, 2015- Implementation Date for New BHHOs and Their Enrolled Members.
Health Homes for Members with Chronic Conditions (Stage A) is the first stage of the Health Homes program.
For more information about the Health Home program, go to the archives webpage.
For questions, please contact Kitty Purington.