MaineCare in Education: School-Based Services
This webpage provides information and important updates about policy and billing changes to MaineCare-covered services that are provided in an educational setting.
APS Prior Authorization Announcement
In order to better support providers in managing their risk, and to help review plans for medical necessity, DHHS, through APS Healthcare will begin conducting prior authorizations for services reimbursed through the MaineCare Benefits Manual, Section 28-Rehabilitative and Community Support Services for Children with Cognitive Impairments and Functional Limitations and Section 65-Behavioral Health Services, Day Treatment. For more information about the changes impacting School Based Section 28 and Section 65-Day Treatment, see the APS PA Announcement.
Documentation and Medical Necessity
Non-Emergency Transporation (NET)
Effective August 1, 2013, MaineCare has a new brokerage system for Non-Emergency Transportation provided to members receiving medically necessary services.
- NEW! Questions and Answers document for school-based services (.pdf)
- See the NET webpage to view the letters mailed to MaineCare members, the brokers' contacts, and other details.
- Questions related to the NET Program can be directed to Brian Sullivan
Transportation Broker Contact Information for Medical, School-Based Service, and Transportation Providers
If you need to contact a NET Broker to schedule a trip for a MaineCare member, please use the phone number that is designated for medical providers, which is not the same number that members call to reach the brokers. Using this dedicated phone number will expedite your call.
The regional numbers are as follows:
Coordinated Transportation Solutions (CTS)
1-855-262-0851 (medical providers)
1-855-262-0850 (transportation providers)
Penquis CAP 1-855-437-5883
MaineCare Member Letters and Broker Information
Click on the links below to view the Non-Emergency Transportation (NET) regional MaineCare member letters regarding the implementation of the brokerage system. In the letters you will find the brokers' contact and other important information.
Please note: The phone numbers below are for MaineCare members and member representatives. Medical providers can contact the brokers using designated phone numbers listed above this section of the webpage. Complaint phone lines are listed in the letters.
- Region 1: All of Aroostook County, as well as Danforth and Patten. Coordinated Transportation Solutions, Inc. (CTS) 1-855-388-1068.
- Region 2: All of Hancock County, including Isle au Haut, and all of Washington County excluding Danforth. Coordinated Transportation Solutions, Inc. (CTS) 1-855-388-1069.
- Region 3: All of Penobscot County, excluding Patten; and all of Piscataquis Countty. Penquis Community Action Program 1-855-437-5883.
- Region 4: All of Kennebec County and all of Somerset County. Coordinated Transportation Solutions, Inc. (CTS) 1-855-388-1070.
- Region 5: All of Knox County, all of Lincoln County, all of Sagadahoc County, all of Waldo County, as well as Brunswick and Harpswell. Coordinated Transportation Solutions, Inc. (CTS) 1-855-388-1071.
- Region 6: All of Cumberland County, except Brunswick and Harpswell. Coordinated Transportation Solutions, Inc. (CTS). 1-855-388-1072.
- Region 7: All of Androscoggin County; all of Franklin County; and all of Oxford County except Porter, Hiram, Brownfield, Denmark, Sweden, Fryeburg, Lovell, Stow, and Stoneham. Coordinated Transportation Solutions, Inc. (CTS). 1-855-388-1073.
- Region 8: All of York County, and Porter, Hiram, Brownfield, Denmark, Sweden, Fryeburg, Lovell, Stow, and Stoneham. Logisticare Solutions, LLC 1-877-659-1302.
If you have questions, you can email them to the MaineCare in Education. You can also subscribe to the MaineCare In Education RSS feed or MaineCare Policy- Schools/Education listserv by visiting the MaineCare News Subscriptions webpage.