On This Page:
Countdown to ICD 10
The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is the international standard diagnostic classification for general epidemiological, health management, and clinical use. As part of HIPAA Administrative Simplification, the United States HHS mandated that all health care entities upgrade diagnosis (ICD-9-CM) and inpatient procedure codes (ICD-9-PCS) to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS, respectively. The ICD-10 code set is a full replacement of the ICD-9 code set that will provide additional granularity for diagnosis and procedure codes.
On August 24, 2012, the compliance date for this upgrade was delayed from October 1, 2013, to October 1, 2014. All discharges and services provided on or after this compliance date must use ICD-10 codes. To view the final rule (PDF*)
MaineCare is actively preparing its employees, processes and systems for the transition to ICD-10. In the fall of 2012, MaineCare initiated its remediation efforts to achieve ICD-10 compliance on October 1, 2014. We will provide regular updates on the progress of our transition. For more information, visit Frequently Asked Questions.
MaineCare's third ICD-10 Provider Readiness Survey is now open. The survey has been shortened since the first two surveys were distributed in April and September of 2013 and should only take five to ten minutes to complete. We would like you to respond to each survey so we can monitor progress toward meeting the federal compliance date of October 1, 2014. We encourage you to participate in this survey regardless of whether you participated in April and/or September.
Your response will help us:
- Better understand provider readiness for the ICD-10 transition and how we can help
- Determine the most effective methods for communicating with you and sharing information about ICD-10
- Identify providers who may have difficulty meeting the compliance date
Please answer the questions based on your organization's level of preparation for ICD-10. Thank you in advance for your time and participation!
To access the survey, please click here.
MaineCare will be hosting regional forums for providers about ICD-10 during the week of March 10th. The purpose of the forums are to help Maine's provider community get ready for the ICD-10 transition and answer questions you may have. Each forum will consist of a presentation about ICD-10. Topics include explanation of ICD-10, how it will impact providers, what providers can do to prepare, and a Q&A session.
All providers, including administrators, billing staff, and clinicians, as well as other members of the health care community seeking information about ICD-10, are encouraged to attend.
Locations, dates, and times are listed below:
- Monday, March 10th, 2-4 PM: Presque Isle Hampton Inn, Katahdin Room (Presque Isle)
- Tuesday, March 11th, 10 AM-12 PM: Ramada Inn, Theater Room (Lewiston)
- Wednesday, March 12th, 10 AM-12 PM: Lucerne Inn, Overlook Building (Dedham)
- Thursday, March 13th, 10 AM-12 PM: Augusta Civic Center, Penobscot Room (Augusta)
- Thursday, March 13th, 10 AM-12 PM: Webinar option (details will be sent upon registration)
- Friday, March 14th, 10AM-12PM: Fireside Inn & Suites, Sebago Room (Portland)
Register Now! Because space is limited, please register by March 7th by clicking here. You will have several forums and a webinar option to choose from. You will be asked to provide your name, role, contact information, the name of your organization, NPI, and provider type. You will also have an opportunity to submit questions about ICD-10. Those selecting the webinar option will receive an email with the link after registration. If you have questions about registration, please send them to Mainecaretng.DHHS@maine.gov.
MaineCare recently completed analyzing the results of our ICD-10 Provider Readiness Survey. As a result of feedback from survey participants, MaineCare has developed an ICD-10 Informational Series for providers in order to share information and to direct you towards preparing for transitioning from ICD-9 to ICD-10.
The informational series will include the following parts or topics:
- Part I: Overview of Provider Survey Results (,pdf)
- Part II: MaineCare's Provider Outreach Plan (.pdf)
- Part III: ICD-10 Provider Impact (.pdf)
- Part IV: Example of Coding Changes (.pdf)
- Part V: Provider Preparation/Helpful Hints (.pdf)
- February 2014 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- January 2014 Provider Association Presentation (.pdf)
- March 2013 Provider Advisory and Technical Advisory Groups (PAG/TAG) Presentation (.pdf)
- April 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- May 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- June 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- August 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- October 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- December 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
Do you have questions about ICD-10? An ICD-10 e-mail box is available specifically for your ICD-10 related questions.