On This Page:
Countdown to ICD 10
The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is the international standard diagnostic classification for general epidemiological, health management, and clinical use. As part of HIPAA Administrative Simplification, the United States HHS mandated that all health care entities upgrade diagnosis (ICD-9-CM) and inpatient procedure codes (ICD-9-PCS) to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS, respectively. The ICD-10 code set is a full replacement of the ICD-9 code set that will provide additional granularity for diagnosis and procedure codes.
On August 24, 2012, the compliance date for this upgrade was delayed from October 1, 2013, to October 1, 2014. All discharges and services provided on or after this compliance date must use ICD-10 codes. To view the final rule (PDF*)
MaineCare is actively preparing its employees, processes and systems for the transition to ICD-10. In the fall of 2012, MaineCare initiated its remediation efforts to achieve ICD-10 compliance on October 1, 2014. We will provide regular updates on the progress of our transition. For more information, visit News and Updates.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- March 2013 Provider Advisory and Technical Advisory Groups (PAG/TAG) Presentation (.pdf)
- April 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- May 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- June 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- August 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- October 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
MaineCare encourages you to take five to ten minutes to complete the second ICD-10 Provider Readiness Survey. We distributed the first survey in April. As a reminder, we are distributing this survey on an ongoing basis in order to understand the provider community's readiness for ICD-10. We would like you to respond to the survey each time it is distributed so that we can monitor the progress toward meeting the federal compliance date of October 1, 2014. However, we encourage you to participate in this survey regardless of whether you participated in April.
Your response will help us:
- Better understand provider readiness for the ICD-10 transition and how we can help
- Determine the most effective methods for communicating with you and sharing information about ICD-10
- Identify potential providers for partner testing
- Identify providers who may have difficulty meeting the compliance date
Please answer the questions based on your organization's level of preparation for ICD-10. Thank you in advance for your time and participation!
Do you have questions about ICD-10? An ICD-10 e-mail box is available specifically for your ICD-10 related questions.