On This Page:
The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is the international standard diagnostic classification for general epidemiological, health management, and clinical use. As part of HIPAA Administrative Simplification, the United States HHS mandated that all health care entities upgrade diagnosis (ICD-9-CM) and inpatient procedure codes (ICD-9-PCS) to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS, respectively. The ICD-10 code set is a full replacement of the ICD-9 code set that will provide additional granularity for diagnosis and procedure codes.
All discharges and services provided on or after the compliance date (not yet communicated by CMS) must use ICD-10 codes. To view the final rule (PDF*)
MaineCare is actively preparing its employees, processes and systems for the transition to ICD-10. We will provide regular updates on the progress of our transition. For more information, visit Frequently Asked Questions.
MaineCare recently completed analyzing the results of our ICD-10 Provider Readiness Survey. As a result of feedback from survey participants, MaineCare has developed an ICD-10 Informational Series for providers in order to share information and to direct you towards preparing for transitioning from ICD-9 to ICD-10.
The informational series will include the following parts or topics:
- Part I: Overview of Provider Survey Results (,pdf)
- Part II: MaineCare's Provider Outreach Plan (.pdf)
- Part III: ICD-10 Provider Impact (.pdf)
- Part IV: Example of Coding Changes (.pdf)
- Part V: Provider Preparation/Helpful Hints (.pdf)
Provider Advisory and Technical Advisory (PAG/TAG) Meeting Materials
- February 2014 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- January 2014 Provider Association Presentation (.pdf)
- March 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- April 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- May 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- June 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- August 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- October 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
- December 2013 PAG/TAG Presentation (.pdf)
Provider Type Specific Presentations
Regional Public Forums
MaineCare hosted regional forums for providers about ICD-10 during the week of March 10th. The purpose of the forums were to help Maine's provider community get ready for the ICD-10 transition and answer any questions. Each forum consisted of a presentation about ICD-10. Topics included explanation of ICD-10, how it will impact providers, what providers can do to prepare, and a Q&A session.
For answers to key questions asked during the Regional Public Forums, please see the Frequently Asked Questions page.
Do you have questions about ICD-10? An ICD-10 e-mail box is available specifically for your ICD-10 related questions.