MaineCare Health Information Technology Meaningful Use Program
What is the HIT Incentive/ Meaningful Use Program?
The Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program was created by the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH). CMS will administer the Medicare EHR Incentive Program and State Medicaid agencies will administer the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
The program pays 100% federally funded incentives to eligible professionals (EPs) and hospitals (EHs) for adopting, implementing, upgrading and demonstrating meaningful use of certified EHR technology.EPs may be eligible to receive up to $63,750. Payments for EHs are hospital-specific. Maine hospitals are eligible to receive an average of $750,000.
*To stay informed of the most current information on the EHR Incentive program please sign up for the CMS listserve
This is the most reliable way to receive information directly from CMS to your inbox - see link below
The Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs listserv provides timely, authoritative information about the programs, including registration and attestation updates and details about the payment process. The listserv messages are another CMS resource to provide you with the latest news about the Incentive Programs. On average, two messages are sent per week.
sign up for the EHR Incentive Programs listserv for program updates and new resources
How to get your EHR Incentive Program Payments
Start by clicking your status below:
Review all of the important dates for the EHR Incentive Programs on the HIT Timeline
What's New for Stage 1 in 2014
Stage 1 Changes Beginning in 2014 for Eligible Professionals - released 4/16/2014
News Updates | April 16, 2014
Eligible Professionals: Review Changes in Stage 1 Meaningful Use Criteria that Begin in 2014
Are you a Medicare eligible professional who is participating or planning to participate in Stage 1 of the Medicare or Medicaid EHR Incentive Program this year? The Stage 2 rule for meaningful use included changes to Stage 1 requirements that took effect on January 1, 2014.
Record and Chart Changes in Vital Signs
2014 Measure: For more than 50 percent of all unique patients seen by the eligible professional during the EHR reporting period, blood pressure (for patients age 3 and over only) and height and weight (for all ages) should be recorded as structured data.
Patient Electronic Access
2014 Measure: More than 50 percent of all unique patients seen by the eligible professional during the EHR reporting period are provided timely (available to the patient within 4 business days after the information is available to the eligible professional) online access to their health information.
Clinical Quality Measure (CQM) Reporting
Stage 1 Resources
Visit the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs website for the latest news and updates on the EHR Incentive Programs.
Medicare Payment Adjustments
Please note: the deadline to submit an application for a hardship exception is April 1, 2014for hospitals and July 1, 2014 for Providers
Payment adjustments will be applied beginning January 1, 2015, if you have not successfully demonstrated meaningful use. The adjustment is determined by the look back of two years. If a provider meets MU in 2013 they will not recieve an adjustment in 2015. For any provider that is meeting MU for the first time they can attest prior to October 1, 2014 and avoid the 2015 and the 2016 payment adjustments.. For more information please review the payment adjustment tipsheet.
If you are eligible to participate in both the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs, you MUST demonstrate meaningful use to avoid the payment adjustments. You may demonstrate meaningful use under either the Medicare or Medicaid EHR Incentive Program. For most providers that includes MDs or DOs. NP, CNM and Dentist are only eligible to participate in the Medicaid EHR incentive program and are not subject to the Medicare payment adjustment; also, MD and DOs that work in FQHC are not subject to the Medicare payment adjustment as they do not bill Medicare part B.
Application for EP to avoid the 2015 Medicare payment adjustments.Hardship Exception Application for Professional(.pdf)
- Tipsheet for Hardship exception for Providers Hardship Exception tip sheet for EP (.pdf*)
- Application for EH to avoid the 2015 Medicare payment adjustments Hardship Exception Hospital Application (.pdf*)
- Tipsheet for Hardship exception for Hospitals HardshipException tip sheet for Hospitals (.pdf*)
March 13, 2014 - CMS Releases a new hardship exception related to the inability to upgrade to a 2014 Certified version of software
- If you are an eligible professional, a hospital or a critical access hospital (CAH), and you are unable to implement EHR Technology certified to the 2014 edition certification criteria in time to successfully demonstrate meaningful use for the 2014 reporting year, you may be eligible for a hardship exception from the applicable Medicare payment adjustments. Please click on the guide below for more information. The applications above for Professionals or Hospitals will be used for the Hardship Exception.
New for 2014
The start of Stage 2 for EPs who have already completed at two years of Stage 1
All Meaningful Use reporting periods for 2014 will be a 90 day period
- If 2014 is your first year demonstrating meaningful use you must have everything approved prior to October 1, 2014 to avoid the Medicare payment adjustments
- If you have previously submitted Meaningful Use in 2011, 2012 or 2013 you can select any 90-day reporting period that falls within the 2014 calendar year
- All EHR software must be upgraded to 2014 Certified EHR technology.
- Contact your EHR vendor to find out when your 2014 version will be available and if there is any cost involved
- From FAQ # 2903 (https://questions.cms.gov/faq.php?faqId=2903): Starting in 2014 for both Stage 1 and Stage 2, meeting the exclusion criteria will no longer count as reporting a meaningful use objective from the menu set. An EP must meet the measure criteria for 5 objectives in Stage 1 (3 objectives in Stage 2) or report on all of the menu set objectives through a combination of meeting exclusion and meeting the measure.
- Maine EHR Incentive website: http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/oms/HIT/
- Maine EHR Incentive Program email: EhrHelpdesk.DHHS@maine.gov
Public Health Measure - Menu Measure #9
ATTENTION: PECOS/NPPES/I&A System Updates
- All providers must update their information in the PECOS/NPPES site - CMS has centralized all accounts to the I&A System for greater ease
- If you have another person that works on your behalf in PECOS/NPPES or the EHR Incentive program you will need to set up an I&A identity for them
- CMS has determined that each provider must have a unique email address for the system accounts and should not be linked (by email) to an organization. Please be sure that the email you list for your I&A account is one that you will be able to receive and respond to
- For the EHR Incentive Program email this should still be a person that is responsible for submitting your application and can respond to our communications
- We have put together a schematic guide that will help you to set up an I&A account for your PECOS/NPPES/EHR incentive program credentials - Please download this file for reference: I&A process (.pdf)
- Please visit the I&A website for more information-https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/IAWeb/warning.do?fwdurl=/
- If the tools available on the I&A site do not provider what you need please contact the EUS: External User Services (EUS) Help Desk: 1-866-484-8049 or EUSSupport@cgi.com
- I & A Process for PECOS/NPPES (.pdf)
- EHR Medicaid Incentive Program Guide (.pdf)
- EP- Meaningful Use Table of Contents -Updated for 2013(.pdf)
- Informational Guide on Skipping ProgramYears
- MU Wizard Guide July 2013 (.pdf*)
- Medicaid 30% Eligibility worksheet(.xls)
- Stage1_2013 changes (.pdf)
Additional HIT web pages
- MU Stage 2: Meaningful Use Stage 2 Tipsheet (CMS)
- Health Information Exchange
- Office of the State Coordinator (OSC) for HIT
Maine's Approved State Medicaid Health Plan and Implementation Plan
- Implementation Plan (April 2013 - September 2015) (.pdf*)
- SMHP Appendices (word*)
- SMHP Cover_Contents (word*)
- SMHP (word*)
E-mail the EHR Help Desk your questions!