Maine Child Support: Division of Support Enforcement & Recovery (DSER)

Whose name is placed on a child's birth certificate?


According to Maine law, M.R.S.A., Title 22 2761 (3A + 4), the following applies:

  • If the mother was not married at the time of conception, during the pregnancy or when a child was born:

    the biological father's name will be placed on the birth certificate as the child's legal father when parents voluntarily sign an AOP form.

(Note: In this situation, if the biological father is married to someone else, he can still sign a voluntary AOP for his out-of-wedlock child and have his name placed on the birth certificate as the legal father.)