- Understanding Adult GuardianshipandGuardianship Alternatives in Maine - Poster (pdf*)(free viewer)
- National Guardianship Association, Inc (NGA)
- NGA Glossary of Guardianship Terminology: (pdf*)(free viewer)
- Aging: Taking Care of Business - A Guide for Older People, Families and Friends Regarding Health Care Advance Directives, Durable Powers of Attorney for Finances, Guardianship/Conservatorship and Other Related Information
Helpful Forms and Links
- Evaluation of Probate Data
Maine Guardianship Alternatives Project (Glew, DHHS Office of Quality Improvement Services, October 2009) (pdf*)(free viewer)
Information in this report can be used to better understand the characteristics of individuals being petitioned for guardianship in the probate court, the characteristics of the petitioner, the frequency of recommendations for alternatives to guardianship recommended by the court visitor and legal decision by the probate judge.
- Work Plan
Maine Guardianship Alternatives Project (pdf*)(free viewer)
Objective is to increase choice & individual control by developing and promoting alternatives to guardianship & conservatorship.
- Scan of data collection in Maine probate courts
Maine Guardianship Alternatives Project (Rubin, Muskie School of Public Service, November 2006) (pdf*)(free viewer)
Reports provides the number of PP505s that were filed in 2005 in order to determine the number of guardianship/conservatorship applications.
- Maine Health Care Advance Directive Form (pdf*)(free viewer)
- Maine Pooled Disability Trust
Resources for Professionals
Visit the American Psychological Association's ABA/APA Assessment of Capacity in Older Adults site to order the following:
- Clinicians’ Handbook
Assessment of Older Adults with Diminished Capacity: A Handbook for Psychologists (pdf*)(free viewer)
This publication is designed to give psychologists and other health care providers important information to help guide their work with older adults.
- Judges’ Handbook
Judicial Determination of Capacity of Older Adults in Guardianship Proceedings:
A Handbook for Judges (pdf*)(free viewer)
This handbook overviews capacity determination, examines the role of judges, provides judges with a summary of the kinds of fuctioning assessed, and suggests a five-step model for assessment.
- Lawyers’ Handbook
Assessment of Older Adults with Diminished Capacity: A Handbook for Lawyers (pdf*)(free viewer)
This handbook offers a conceptual framework and practice tips for addressing problems of client capacity, in some cases with help from a clinician.
- PILOT Maine Court Visitor Report form
CV form being piloted in Cumberland and Lincoln Counties (pdf*)(free viewer)
- PUBLIC Law, Chapter 349 LD 944
An Act To Increase the Evidentiary Standard Required To Establish a Guardianship (pdf*)(free viewer)
- PUBLIC Law, Chapter 292 LD 1404
An Act To Enact the Maine Uniform Power of Attorney Act (pdf*)(free viewer)
- PUBLIC Law, Chapter 308 LD 354
An Act Regarding the Reporting Requirements of Conservators (pdf*)(free viewer)