Physical Disability

Below are some of the more common questions people have when they contact OADS Physical Disability Services.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • 1) How can I find out if I am eligible for Consumer Directed Personal Attendant Services? Show/Hide
    • If you haven't already, the first step is to apply for MaineCare. The Department of Health and Human Services has 16 regional offices located across the State. Applications for assistance can be picked up or you can call to have one mailed to you. Eligibility Specialists will review your application and help you complete it if needed. Locate the office closest to you. You may want to visit Office of Integrated Access and Support Web Site. You may also download an application.
    • Secondly, you must meet the medical/functional eligibility criteria. This requires a MED Assessment conducted by Goold Health Systems. You may contact Goold to request an assessment by calling 1-800-609-7893 or 621-1346.
  • 4) Where can I learn more about Disability Related Services? Show/Hide
    • Some great resources include:
      • Since 1978, Alpha One, a Center for Independent Living, has enabled thousands of people with disabilities to live more fully and more independently in all aspects of their lives, to learn more visit their website at
      • AccessMaine is a website developed by the Institute for Health Policy at the Edmund S. Muskie School for Public Service to provide resource information to Mainers with disabilities, their families and providers. To learn more visit
      • Maine’s Aging and Disability Resource Centers:
        • SeniorsPlus (Androscoggin, Oxford and Franklin Counties)
          P.O. Box 659, 8 Falcon Road, Lewiston, ME 04243-0659
          Telephone: 1-800-427-1241 or 207-795-4010
          TTY 207-795-7232
          FAX: 207-795-4009
          Web site:
        • Eastern Area Agency on Aging (Penobscot, Piscataquis, Washington and Hancock Counties).
          450 Essex Street, Bangor, ME 04401
          Telephone: 1-800-432-7812 or 207-941-2865
          FAX: 207-941-2869
          Web site:
        • Southern Maine Area Agency on Aging (Cumberland & York Counties)
          136 US Rt. 1, Scarborough, ME 04074
          Telephone: 207-396-6503
          FAX: 207-396-6528
          Web site:
        • Spectrum Generations (Kennebec, Somerset, Waldo, Knox and Sagadahoc Counties)
          One Weston Court, Suite 203, Augusta, ME 04330
          Telephone: 1-800-639-1553
          FAX: 207-622-7857
          TTY: 1-800-464-8703
          Web site:
        • Aroostook Area Agency on Aging (Aroostook County)
          33 Davis St., Presque Ilse, ME 04769
          Telephone: 207-464-8703
          web site:
  • 6) Where can I obtain legal assistance/advocacy services? Show/Hide
    • Volunteer Lawyer’s Project- VLP’s primary mission is to enhance legal assistance provided by the Maine Bar Association to low-income people of Maine. Learn more at or 1-800-442-4293
    • Pine Tree Legal Services-to locate an office near you please visit their website at
    • Disability Rights Center – Advocating for Maine Citizens with Disabilities since 1977, please visit their website at
    • Maine Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program-Specially trained advocates investigate and resolve complaints made by, or on behalf of, a consumer of home care, hospice and adult day services as well as residents of adult family care homes, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and residential care facilities. For more information call 1-800-499-0229 (Voice/TTY) or visit
  • 7) Where can I get assistance with my heating/energy expenses? Show/Hide
    • Please visit the Maine Housing website at for more information on the low income home energy assistance program
    • Or you can visit your local community action program:
    • Aroostook Community Action Program -1-800-432-7881 or
    • Community Concepts (Androscoggin and Oxford Counties) at 1-800-866-5588 or
    • Kennebec Valley Community Action Program ( Kennebec and Somerset Counties) at 1-800-542-8227 or
    • Penquis Community Action Program (Penobscot and Piscataquis Counties) at 1-800-215-4942 or
    • Peoples Regional Opportunity Program (Cumberland County) at 1-800-698-4959 or
    • Waldo County Community for Social Action at 1-800-498-3025 or
    • Washington-Hancock Community Action at 1-800-828-7544 or
    • Western Maine Community Action Program (Franklin County) at 1-800-645-9436 or
    • York County Community Action Corporation at 1-800-965-5762 or
    • Information
  • 9) Where can I get information about employment and how that impacts benefits received from SSI or SSDI? Show/Hide
    • Community Work Incentives Coordinator (CWIC) Services are located at Maine Medical Center. There are currently five CWICs serving the entire state of Maine. They can be reached at 1-888-208-8700. More information about their services can be found at