Developmental Services - Case Management Manual
Removal of a Person from a Residence
Following an investigation by an appropriate departmental group, including but not necessarily limited to Adult Protective Services, a recommendation will be made to a Case Management Supervisor as to whether an individual or several individuals should be removed from a particular residence. The recommendation will be reviewed by the Supervisor and the Developmental Services Program Administrator who will consult as needed with the Director and the Developmental Services Program Manager. If the conclusion is reached to remove one or more individuals from a residence, the following steps will be taken:
- The guardian shall be contacted and consent obtained
- The individual(s) shall be contacted as appropriate
- If protective action is involved, the Adult Protective Unit shall be contacted
- Appropriate efforts shall be made to secure the concurrence of the individual and/or guardian and the Adult Protective Unit when appropriate. In emergency situations involving high probability of danger to one or more individuals, prompt action must be taken to ensure the safety of the individual(s) involved.
- The decision shall be communicated to the owners or operators of the facility.
- An appropriate plan shall be designed and implemented to remove the individual(s). This plans should include who and how many individuals will need to participate in assisting the individual to leave the residence. In rare situations this might require the presence of the police.
- The Commissioner or designee shall be apprised of the removal and the issues leading to the action and the follow-up to the removal.
- Appropriate licensing staff will be informed of the action.