General Assistance Program

Each town has a General Assistance Program to help people in emergencies.  You may be eligible even if you work or receive other benefits such as: food stamps, veterans’ benefits, or Social Security income.  To request General Assistance, contact your town office.  Your application must be accepted for review.  You may be turned down for help if you do not meet the guidelines for the program.  The application is private and confidential.  If you have problems concerning General Assistance, contact:

Office of Family Independence
Department of Health and Human Services: 207-624-4168
Toll Free:  1-800-442-6003
Local/Out-of-State TTY:  Maine relay 711