Educational Opportunities

Adult Education

Adult Education Programs offer a variety of academic, self-improvement, vocational and craft courses to community residents in all parts of Maine.  Courses are usually announced in local papers.  In some areas, adults earning high school diplomas can participate free of charge.  If you have a special interest or hobby you would like to teach or if you would like an adult education program at your senior club or dining site, contact the Adult Education Office through your local school system.

Community Colleges

Community Colleges provide post-secondary education.  People age 62 or older may register for credit courses on a space available basis free of charge.  Laboratory and other fees must still be paid by the student.  Enrollment in specific courses is conditional on the approval of the Dean of Admissions.  Listing of the community colleges.


Elderhostel is a program available through a national network of colleges and universities. They provide short term, on campus, college level courses to older persons at a very low cost. For more information, call or write:

75 Federal Street
Boston, MA 02110-1914
Toll Free: 1-877-426-8056
TTY:  617-426-5437

Senior College

Just because someone retires from work doesn’t mean he or she retires from learning.  Maine has fourteen “Senior Colleges,” learning centers that offer Mainers age 55 or older courses on a variety of topics including music, art, history and science, in a university environment.

The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at The University of Southern Maine in Portland helps senior colleges organize and communicate with one another. 

Retirees who have lifetimes of experience in the subjects usually teach senior college courses.

For more information call:

Local/Out-of-State 207-780-4406
Toll Free 1-800-800-4876 (X 4406)
Or visit the Internet Site

The phone number for each of the Senior Colleges is listed on the Addresses page.

University of Maine System

Maine residents age 65 or older who wish to register for courses at a campus of the University of Maine but are unable to cover the cost of tuition may apply to take the course tuition free.  To do so, request a Senior Waiver at the Student Accounts (billing) office at the campus you plan to attend.  The waiver of tuition can be used only for undergraduate courses; it does not cover lab and other course fees.  Listing of University of Maine Campuses.

University of Maine’s Center on Aging

The mission of the Center is to promote and facilitate activities on aging in areas of education, research and evaluation and community service to maximize the quality of life of older citizens and their families in Maine

  • Contact phone: 207-581-2444
    Fax: 207-581-4490