Community Programs - Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP)
|The Senior Medicare Patrol's mission is to educate consumers about Medicare and MaineCare
and how you can help identify and reduce errors, fraud, waste and abuse.
Help Control Your Health Care Costs
Billions of dollars are lost each year through errors, fraud, waste and abuse in the Medicare and MaineCare programs. This can mean cuts in service and higher health care costs for everyone.
The information below will help you identify and reduce errors, fraud, waste and abuse. You can help to keep your own health care costs down!
Interested in Medicare volunteer opportunities? Email email@example.com
What You Can Do to Make a Difference
|Keep a record. A free health journal is available from Maine SMP to help you keep track of the services you receive. Call your local area agency on aging at 1-877-353-3771 (TTY 1-800-750-5353) to get one.|
Review bills and statements.
- Has Medicare or MaineCare paid twice for the same service?
- Are the dates of services different than your records?
- Has Medicare or MaineCare been billed for a service you did not get?
- Are there any outpatient services billed while you were in the hospital?
- Are there charges for home medical equipment while you were in the hospital?
- Are there charges for ambulance services you did not receive?
Ask questions. Call your doctor, hospital, Medicare or MaineCare if you:
- Do not understand the charges on your bills or statements.
- Were charged for a service or item you did not receive.
- Feel you did not need the service you got.
STOP Fraud in Medicare and MaineCare
Never give out your Medicare or MaineCare numbers on the telephone or to people you do not know. Be aware that there are scams to trick people into giving out their personal information.
Never give out your Medicare or MaineCare numbers to someone who promises you "free" medical tests or services. Ask yourself: If it's free, why do they need my health insurance information?
Never sign a blank form or paperwork you do not understand.
OADS Aging Services
Maine Department of Health and Human Services
11 State House Station
32 Blossom Lane
Augusta, Maine 04333
1-800-262-2232 (toll free)