To provide you with information for making a report to APS.
- A reporter only needs to "suspect" an adult is incapacitated or dependent and
in danger. The intake worker will be asking you to:
- Describe the behavior that indicates the adult's mental capacity.
- Describe what you observed, heard, or know that indicates dependency.
- Describe what the danger is.
- The more specific you can be with your information, the better.
Confidentiality vs. Anonymity:
- When making a report as a mandated reporter, the law requires you to give your name. Therefore,
you cannot make an anonymous report. However, you may request that your name be kept confidential.
The Department will honor your request unless it is required to protect the adult from serious
harm or required by a court order.
Required at Intake
- Reports must be made immediately by telephone to the Department and must be followed by
a written report within 48 hours if requested by the department.
- The report must contain:
- The name and address of the adult.
- Information regarding the nature and extent of the abuse, neglect or exploitation.<
- The source of the report.
- The person making the report, that person's occupation and where that person
can be contacted.
- Any other information that the reporter believes may be helpful.
- Worksheet that you can use to guide
you in your
- To report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of an adult, 24 hours a day,
call APS Intake at 1-800-624-8404.
- To report using a TTY call: 1-800-624-8404 during business hours, or
1-800-963-9490 after business hours.
- To report abuse, neglect or exploitation in a facility licensed by the Department of Health and Human Services, call 1-800-383-2441 or for TTY 207-287-9312.
To report suspected
abuse, neglect, or exploitation of persons with Developmental Services
- To report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of persons with mental retardation:
169 Lancaster St.
Portland, ME 04101
TDD (207) 822-0272
FAX (207) 822-0295
141 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0141
TDD (207) 287-1798
FAX (207) 287-7186
176 Hogan Road
Bangor, ME 04401
TDD (207) 941-4751
FAX (207) 941-4360
15 Mollison Way
Lewiston, ME 04240
TDD (207) 753-9102
FAX (207) 782-1753
212B New County Road
Thomaston, ME 04861
TDD (207) 596-2303
FAX (207) 596-2304
Unit 4 Review