Indicators of Abusive Caregivers
- Verbal berating, harassment, or intimidation
- Threats of punishment of depriving of essential needs
- Isolating a person from friends or other family members
- Treating the individual like an infant
- Leaving a person alone for long periods of time
- Withholding affection to gain compliance
- Unwillingness to comply with service providers in planning for care
- Obvious absence of assistance, attitude of indifference or anger toward the victim
- Giving a person no privacy
- Denying a person the right to make decisions
- Demonstrates inappropriate sex-role relationship
- Inconsistent or implausible explanation of injuries
- Handles the person roughly or in a manner that is threatening, manipulative, sexually
suggestive or insulting
- Excessive concern about cost of caring for the older person or reluctant about spending
money or paying bills.
- "The injury was an accident."
- "The victim fell."
- "There was no abuse...she bruises easily."
- "It was a gift."
- "She owed me the money."
- "He gave me permissions to have, use, borrow it."
- "I was going to give it back."
- "He refuses services."