Task Force Members
The Governor appointed 10 members of the 14-member task force. In addition, two members of the Senate have been appointed by the President of the Senate and two members House of Representatives by the Speaker of the House.
The following people have been appointed by the Governor, representing the interests as outlined by the November 6th Executive Order:
- Commissioner Brenda Harvey, Department of Health and Human Services
- Commissioner Anne Head, Department of Professional and Financial Regulation
- Commissioner Anne Jordan, Department of Public Safety
- Attorney General Janet Mills
- Faith Benedetti, currently self-employed and former Program Coordinator of the Dayspring AIDS Support Services, representing patients who would be qualifying patients under the direct initiative
- Gordon Smith, Executive Vice President, Maine Medical Association, representing physicians
- Dan Walker, partner at Preti Flaherty, a supporter of the Direct Initiative "An Act to Establish the Maine Medical Marijuana Act"
- Kandyce Powell, Executive Director, Maine Hospice Council, representing the hospice movement in Maine
- Ken Altshuler, partner at the firm Childs, Rundlett, Fifield, Shumway & Altshuler, representing the public
- John McElwee, retired District Court judge, representing the public.
The Legislative Members are:
- Sen. Joe Brannigan and Rep. Anne Perry, Chairs of the Health and Human Services Committee
- Sen. Stan Gerzofsky and Rep. Anne Haskell, Chairs of the Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee.