Data, Research and Vital Statistics
Maine Electronic Death Registration System (EDRS)
- What is the Maine Electronic Death Registration System (EDRS)?
The Maine Electronic Death Registration System, or EDRS, is a Web-based system that will register Maine death records electronically online. With EDRS, users, such as Maine licensed funeral directors or medical certifiers will enter information directly into a Web-based application. The record will be electronically signed and registered, and available to State and municipal offices entitled to access the record.
- Do all stakeholders have to use the online system?
We encourage all stakeholders (i.e. funeral directors, medical certifiers, and municipal clerks) to use the EDRS. Corrections, completions and amendments will be generated electronically. This will ensure that the correct information is released to the public and ensure consistency among municipal offices and the state.
- How do we implement EDRS?
Because the EDRS is an online, Web-based system, the only software needed by a facility is a standard web-browser.
- What are the benefits of EDRS?
The system will:
- Speed up certificate completion. On-line certificates will be able to be completed in a single day by multiple users, making them available for families sooner.
- Reduce changes to records by checking for common human errors and omissions as information is entered in a record.
- Simplify the entry process, displaying only information relevant to specific users and auto filling addresses and other information.
- Eliminate the need to send paper certificates back and forth for signatures because the records will be electronic and multiple users will be able to access a single record.
- What are the requirements for the new system?
To ensure compatibility with the technological requirements of the system, it is necessary for all participants to have the following equipment/software:
- Laptop or desktop computer (sorry, no Macs are supported at this time).
- Internet connectivity.
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista operating system (we are reviewing system compatibility on Windows 7).
- Internet Explorer 6 SP2 or higher (Firefox is not supported at this time, although it is being investigated). Google Chrome is NOT supported.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher (to view/print forms and reports).
- When will the new system be implemented?
Maine expects to deploy its system on a pilot basis in early 2010, with full implementation occurring later that year. Once the system is fully deployed, new death records will be in electronic format only, while existing paper records will be maintained.
- Where can I get training?
All users will receive training, so that they will be able to properly access and use the system for their role in death registration. Training will be provided in multiple formats and will occur during implementation in 2010.
- Is there a help desk that will be available?
Yes, in order to provide full support to system users, a "help desk" will be available during normal business hours. For users that have been fully trained, this support will provide answers to questions, assistance with system use, and clarification of legal requirements. The "help desk" will also be a place in which to alert the State of any possible system problems.