Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment Program
- It’s the best way to catch health and dental problems early, when they are easier to fix.
- You will find out more about how to keep your child healthy.
- You will get to know your primary care provider and your dentist.
How do I get these services for my child?
Call your primary care provider or dentist to make appointments for Healthy Visits. Sometimes it takes many months to get appointments, so be sure you call early.
It may be hard to find a primary care provider or a dentist. MaineCare Member Services can help.
What happens at a Healthy Visit to the dentist?
Your child’s teeth and gums will be checked to make sure they are healthy. Your child should go to the dentist for Healthy Visits starting at age 3. MaineCare will pay for:
- teeth cleanings 2 times a year,
- x-rays and fillings,
- fluoride treatments,
- other care the dentist says is necessary
What happens at a Healthy Visit with your primary care provider depends on your child's age?
At all Healthy Visits your child will get:
A complete physical, which is a check of your child's body, a check on how your child is growing in other ways, like:
- Rolling over when she's a baby
- Talking when he's a toddler
- Making friends when she goes to school
- Llearning safe behaviors when he's a teen
- Doing other things children and teens of the same age do
At some Healthy Visits your child will get:
- Shots and a lead poisoning check
- Vision and Hearing tests
- Teeth and Gums checked
At every Healthy Visit you can ask your primary care provider or dentist all the questions you have about your child's growth and health.
- making appointments for Healthy Visits for your child,
- setting up rides for you to get to Healthy Visits,
- explaining what your primary care provider or dentist wants you to do for your child.
Sometimes MaineCare Member Services can help you get things you need for your child that are not usually covered.
For example, we may be able to buy a helmet for a child who has seizures. Services like this are called Optional Treatment Services. Call MaineCare Member Services to find out how to get these services for your child.
MaineCare benefits can help you keep your child mentally healthy too.
If you are worried about your child's mental health or behavior, you may be able to get
help like in-home care or counseling. Talk to your primary care provider.
You may also call the Maine Department of Behavioral and Developmental Services.
Their offices are listed below. Call the one nearest you or the state-wide number:
For the deaf or hard of hearing, TDD/TTY:1-207-287-2000.
To contact the Maine Department of Behavioral and Developmental Services in:
York, Cumberland County, Portland
1-800-492-0846 or 822-0126
TDD/ TTY: 207-822-0272
Androscoggin, Franklin, Kennebec, Knox, Lincoln, Oxford, Sagadahoc, Somerset, Waldo County Augusta Area:
1-800-866-1814 or 287-7130
1-800-866-1803 or 753-9100
Aroostook, Hancock, Penobscot, Piscataquis, Washington County Bangor Area:
1-800-963-9491 or 941-4360
Presque Isle Area:
1-800-767-9857 or 554-2100
Or call MaineCare Member Services and we will explain how you can get the services you need.