Maine CDC Breast and Cervical Health Program (MBCHP)
Free Pap Tests & Mammograms
Please make sure that you visit the MBCHP Primary Care Provider (PCP) service location you chose when you enrolled in the program (the one listed on your client ID card) and MBCHP will pay for the following breast and cervical cancer tests:
An office visit that includes at least one of the following:
- Clinical Breast Exam and/or;
- Pelvic exam and/or;
- Pap test alone or
- Pap test and high-risk HPV test (HPV co-testing)
- Every 3 years if a Pap test, or
- Every 5 years if Pap test with HPV test (HPV co-testing)
- *Note: If you've had a hysterectomy, a Pap test will be paid for only if the hysterectomy was related to cervical cancer or if part of your cervix remains.
A mammogram (at a mammography site that participates in MBCHP) (NOTE: MBCHP does not cover computer aided detection (CAD)).
Further diagnostic tests for breast or cervical cancer, if needed (you must be referred to a diagnostic provider site that participates in MBCHP by your MBCHP PCP service location) :
- Diagnostic mammograms
- Fine needle aspiration of a breast cyst
- Breast ultrasound after a mammogram
- Breast biopsy (hospital charges are not covered)**
- Colposcopy (magnified view of the cervix) with or without biopsy
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) testing, after abnormal Pap test result
- Pathology charges for breast and cervical biopsies
- Anesthesia for breast biopsies
- Surgical consults for possible breast or cervical cancer
- **Note: if your doctor wants other tests or if you go to the hospital, you should talk with their staff about how you will pay the medical bills. MBCHP does not cover all health care services; physician charges are covered by MBCHP but hospital charges are not covered.
MBCHP only pays for breast and cervical cancer screenings performed at your MBCHP PCP service location (listed on your MBCHP client ID card) or the participating diagnostic provider service location you were referred to by your MBCHP PCP. Your MBCHP PCP must order all tests.
MBCHP does not pay for urine tests, blood tests, stool tests, bone density test, transvaginal ultrasounds, pelvic ultrasounds, chest x-rays, MRI's, colonoscopies (exam of the bowel) or any prescriptions, including birth control.
If you need financial assistance for tests not paid for by the MBCHP, or have more questions about a breast or cervical cancer issue, you can call our Case Manager at 1-800-350-5180 and press 1, or 207-287-8068, for help.