World Rabies Day in Maine Saturday, September 28, 2013
On September 28, the State of Maine will celebrate the seventh annual World Rabies Day. This year, the Maine Rabies Workgroup organized educational tables throughout the community during August and September to get the word out about rabies prevention. All Mainers are encouraged to consider ways they can prevent the spread of rabies.
- Vaccinate your pet cats and dogs against rabies; it is the law.
- Avoid contact with wild animals or other animals that you do not know.
- Bat proof your home. Wildlife biologists can provide tips on how to bat proof your home without harming bats but preventing them from entering your home.
- Report all exposures to Maine CDC (1-800-821-5821) or a healthcare provider.
In 2006, the Alliance for Rabies Control, a U.K. charity, formed to promote rabies prevention worldwide. The Alliance, along with the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, declared September 28 World Rabies Day. All partners, including international health organizations, national, state and local public health partners, professional organizations, commercial pharmaceutical companies and foundations have been called upon to plan events throughout the world to increase awareness about rabies and to raise support and funding towards its control and prevention. Worldwide, over 50,000 people die from rabies each year.
Calendar of Events (See details below)
Knox County Humane Society Whisker Walk
LL Bean Fall Hunting Expo
Health & Environmental Testing Lab – 221 State St, Augusta
Maine CDC -KeyBank Plaza
- Cabela's Fall Great Outdoor Days
- Saturday, August 24, 2013, 8am-4pm
- Cabela's, 100 Cabela Boulevard, Scarborough, Maine 04074
- Oxford Fair
- Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 10:30am-2pm
- Oxford County Fairgrounds
- LL Bean Fall Hunting Expo
- Saturday, September 21, 2013, 10am-4pm
- LL Bean, Freeport
- Knox County Humane Society Whisker Walk
- Saturday, September 14, 2013, 8am-2pm
- Harbor Park, Rockland
- Maine CDC Health & Environmental Testing Lab
- Maine CDC Exhibit Table
- Friday, September 27, 2013, 8am-1pm
- Key Bank Plaza Lobby, 286 Water Street, Augusta
- Northwoods Law Day @ Maine Wildlife Park
- Saturday, September 28, 2013, 8:30am-3:30pm
- Maine Wildlife Park, Gray
- 2013 Maine CDC Press Release – Mainers Urged to Take Steps to Avoid Rabies
- Current - 2012 Maine Rabies Management Guidelines, 3rd Edition (pdf*) (free viewer)
- Preventing Rabies in Maine Video | transcript
- Series of Rabies Videos, Global Alliance for Rabies Control
- Rabies post-exposure prophylaxis online course, Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- World Rabies Day - Global Alliance for Rabies Control
- Federal CDC – World Rabies Day
- Maine CDC - Rabies