How do I apply for food stamps?

Food Supplement Program (formerly food stamps) - General information about the supplemental nutrition assistance program.

Application (PDF) - Food supplement benefits application.

Pre-Screening Tool - Determine if you may be eligible to receive SNAP benefits.

How do I find a job within DHHS?

Career Opportunities - Current open positions within DHHS.

Direct Hire Application - Submit directly to the hiring agency.

Competitive Hire Application - Submit to the Bureau of Human Resources.

How do I adopt a child through DHHS?

How Do I Adopt? - This is the step by step process for adopting a child in the care of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Maine's Waiting Children - Browse or search a photolisting of the children in the care of the Maine Department of Health and Human Services awaiting adoption.

Are You Interested? - An online form that can be submitted to Maine adoption staff to get more information about the child you are interested in.

How do I find child care for my child?

Finding Child Care - Types of child care available in Maine and how to go about choosing child care.

Child Care Facility Search - Statewide search for facilities in Maine

Child Care Programs Meeting the Quality Certificate Requirements - These programs have received Maine’s highest quality rating. They have been accredited by a national organization, have staff with a high level of experience and education in early childhood education, and actively utilize Maine’s Early Learning Guidelines and/or Infant Toddler Guidelines.

How do I get my drinking water tested?

Information on testing your well and fixing unsafe water

For help with understanding your well water results: Call 207-287-4311 or 1-866-292-3474, toll free in Maine.

Water Test Kits - Order water test kits. Many different tests are available.

Drinking Water Program - Provides technical assistance, works with systems to protect source water areas and provides grants or loans funds for infrastructure improvements.

How do I get a copy of a birth, death, marriage or divorce certificate?

VitalChek - Order a birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificate online.

Maine Vital Records - Visit our office to pick up a certificate.

Note: Records from 1892 through 1922 can be found at Maine State Archives

How do I apply for child support?

Application - Application for child support services

Child Support Services - Available child support services including medical reimbursement, order review, paternity, and payment processing.

Child Support Questions - Submit your child support questions using this online form.

How do I find a DHHS office?

Offices/Divisions - DHHS Office addresses, descriptions and phone numbers.

Office Finder - This tool allows a person to select a Maine town and locate the DHHS office that serves that town.

How do I find a DHHS report?

DHHS Reports - List of DHHS reports available online.

How do I find DHHS policies?

DHHS Policy - DHHS laws/statutes, policy and rules

How do I find a hotline or crisis phone number?

Hotlines/Crisis Numbers - Phone numbers for abuse, poison control, suicide prevention, domestic violence and others.

How do I find DHHS publications?

DHHS Publications - A list of links to Department publications.

How do I find DHHS forms?

DHHS Consumer Forms - Department application forms, information request forms, health forms and contact forms.

DHHS Provider Forms - Substance abuse, adults with cognitive & physical disabilities, children's behavioral health, behavioral health, health, environmental health and other DHHS forms.

How do I report child abuse?

Report Child Abuse - Phone and TTY numbers.

Child Abuse Action Network - A multi-disciplinary, public and private sector committee committed to enhancing the professional and public response to child abuse in Maine.

Mandated Reporters - Information for people who must report to the Department if they know or have reasonable cause to suspect that a child has been or is likely to be abused or neglected.

How do I report elder abuse?

Report Elder Abuse - Hotlines/Crisis numbers.

Adult Protective Services - A guide for facility stafff regarding abuse, neglect & exploitation in licensed facilities.

Adult Protective Services - How to Report

Mandated Reporters - Information for people who must report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of an adult if they believe the adult is incapacitated or dependent.

How do I report fraud/abuse? Options are:

  1. Complete the online form
  2. Call the Fraud Hotline number at 1-866-348-1129 or one of the numbers specified below depending on the type of fraud you are reporting.

All reports of fraud and abuse will be fully investigated. Please note that confidentiality laws do not allow us to share findings back to those who report potential fraud or abuse.

Provider Fraud and Abuse

Examples include: billing for services not delivered; overbilling for services.

Who do you call?

  • Program Integrity: 1-207-287-4660. Program Integrity will refer reports that require criminal investigation to the Attorney General’s Healthcare Crimes Unit at 1-207-626-8870 or email

Member or Client Fraud and Abuse:

Examples include: Inappropriately seeking drugs by going from doctor to doctor; obtaining prescribed medication and selling it to another party; buying medications from a MaineCare member.

Who do you call?

  • Program Integrity: 1-207-287-4660. Program Integrity will refer reports that require criminal investigation to the Attorney General's Healthcare Crimes Unit: 1-207-626-8870 or email

The Program Integrity phone line is staffed, however depending on the volume of calls you may receive voice mail. Staff will only return phone calls if additional information is required.

Eligibility fraud and abuse:

This covers MaineCare and other benefit programs like the Food Supplement Program and TANF:

Examples include: Receiving services or other benefits by falsifying information; not reporting income; not reporting changes in household size and income; not reporting assets (trusts).

Who do you call?

The Fraud Investigation and Recovery phone line is staffed, however depending on the volume of calls you may receive voice mail. Staff will only return phone calls if additional information is required.

What Constitutes Fraud in the MaineCare Program?

The MaineCare Benefits Manual, Chapter I, § 1.20-1 defines fraud as:

"Fraud includes intentional deception or misrepresentations, oral or written, which an individual knows to be false, or does not believe to be true, made with knowledge that deception or misrepresentation could result in some unauthorized benefits. The requisite intent is present if the misrepresentation was made knowingly or with reckless disregard for the truth"

How do I find Alzheimer’s care and support?

Alzheimer's Information - Links to information related to the care and support of people with Alzheimer's disease.

Home Care - Where to find home care for people with Alzheimer's disease.

How do I get prescription drug assistance?

Low Cost Drugs - Low cost drugs for the elderly and disabled.

People with Disabilities who have MaineCare or Medicare - Prescription drug coverage information for people with disabilities who have MaineCare or Medicare.

How do I find information on HIV or STDs?

HIV, STD and Viral Hepatitis Program - Information including care, prevention and surveillance of HIV and STDs.

How do I find immunization information?

Maine Immunization Program - Immunization information for consumers and providers.

How do I find information about Lyme disease?

Lyme Disease - Resources for individuals, educators, physicians.

Public Health Data - Reports, comparison tables, and district health profiles.

Video - Lyme disease awareness and prevention.

How do I get Medicare prescription drug coverage?

Medicare Part D - A resource for providers.

How do I find information about West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE)?

Vector-borne Diseases - Maine CDC and US CDC links to information about both West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE).

West Nile Virus - Information for individuals and physicians.

EEE - Eastern Equine Encephalitis information for both individuals and physicians.

How do I find current flu information?

H1N1 - Resources and information.

Seasonal Flu - Information to help prevent and control the spread of influenza.

Pandemic Influenza Plans - Provides healthcare providers and the residents of the State of Maine with information related to concerns about a possible influenza pandemic.

How do I find adult day services?

Adult Services - General information about adult services.

Adult Day Care Search - Find adult day services near you.

How do I find rabies data for Maine?

Rabies - Rabies information and reports.

Data - Maine rabies data by year.

How do I find MaineCare information?

Application Form - Apply for MaineCare or other public assistance

Eligibility Manual - Eligibility Requirements

Office of MaineCare Services - General information, phone numbers, and how to apply.

Developmental Services - Consumers who are eligible by State statute for Developmental Services and meet the applicable eligibility requirements for the State’s Medicaid program, known as MaineCare, are eligible for medically necessary services.

Low Cost Health Insurance - If you or your children need health insurance, MaineCare may be the answer.

Immunization - MaineCare benefits for members under 21 years of age.

How do I get a facility or business licensed?

Child Care - Child Care Center Licenses, Family Child Care certificates, and Nursery School licenses.

Children's Residential Care, Shelters for Children, and Child Placing Agencies - Information and application forms to become a licensed homeless shelter or short-term emergency shelter for children, a licensed residential child care facility, or a licensed child placing agency that finds homes for children.

Assisted Housing - Adult Day Services Programs, Assisted Housing Programs.

Employee Assistance Programs - Guidelines, regulations, application.

Mental Health - Mental health agency licensing information.

Substance Abuse - Information on licensing substance abuse treatment programs.

Subsurface Wastewater Site Evaluator - Information and application.

Water System Operators - Levels of licenses, training, contacts, resources.

Maine Laboratory - Rules, application and instructions.

Forms & Applications - Camp Operators, Eating Places, Lodging Places, Campgrounds, Summer Camps, Schools, Retail Tobacco, Tattooing, Body Piercing, Electrology, Micropigmentation, Suppliers of Compressed Air for Breathing Purposes.

How Do I Find Phone Numbers for Offices and Services?

Maine Health and Human Services Telephone Directory - Phone numbers for department offices and services.

Statewide Services - Phone numbers for various Maine organizations that provide services.

How Do I Find Housing - Maine's Free Rental listing service - Linking people who need housing with the housing they need.

Additional Housing/Homeless resources and information

How do I get newborn screening test results?

Your baby’s doctor will contact you if the results suggest that your baby may have one of these conditions. The doctor will talk with you about the results and what needs to be done next.

Ask about the test results when you see your baby’s doctor.

For more information about newborn bloodspot screening, visit the newborn bloodspot screening website.

How do I apply for a Vital Records Researcher card?

Vital Records - To apply for a Vital Records Researcher card, complete the Genealogical Research application form located on the Vital Records website.

How Do I apply for a Vital Records Researcher card

Visit the Vital Records site for information on how to get this card.

How do I find out about lead in my home? - Information for homeowners, parents and property owners about lead and lead poisoning.

How do I know if my child has lead poisoning?, parents' section - Information about lead, lead poisoning, how to know if your child is at risk for lead poisoning and who to talk to about testing your child for lead poisoning.

How do I know which fish are healthy eating choices and which are not?

Fish and Game Guidelines - Family focused safety guides and brochures for eating fresh and saltwater fish.

How do I report a work-related disease or illness?

Hospitals, physicians, physician extenders, and chiropractors are required to report certain occupational diseases or conditions to the Occupational Disease Reporting Program of the Maine CDC no later than 30 days from the date of diagnosis or suspected diagnosis or discharge from the hospital.

View list of reportable conditions and download reporting form

How do I find Maine's data on environmental health topics?

Maine Tracking Network - Find and query Maine's data on environmental health topics such as asthma, lead poisoning, carbon monoxide poisoning and more.

How do I report a case of infectious disease?

Infectious Disease Epidemiology Program

How do I find information on infectious diseases in Maine?

Infectious Disease Epidemiology Program Publications

How do I become a foster parent (resource parent)?

How to apply to become a resource parent - Resource families (includes kinship and permanency guardianship families) provide a safe setting for children through foster care and adoption. Foster families are able to care for children while maintaining their contact with their birth family and working toward reunification. If reunification is unsuccessful, another permanent goal is explored, the most desirable of which is adoption.

How do I get more information about Ebola?

Ebola Virus Disease is caused by infection with one of the Ebola virus strains. Symptoms may include fever, headache, joint and muscle aches, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, lack of appetite. In some patients, the symptoms may include: a rash, red eyes, hiccups, cough, sore throat, chest pain, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, and bleeding inside and outside of the body.

For more information about ebola, visit