Medical Facilities Unit
Hospital Licensing Reform Steering Committee
CMS Presentation: Potential Questions for Discussion
- How does CMS currently use data to identify hospitals for poor performance? How do you think this will be done in the future?
- What implications does this have for certification?
- Will CMS use data from “pay for performance” or “value based purchasing” in targeting surveys?
- Joint Commission has reorganized their standards to reduce silos. Has CMS considered a similar approach to the Conditions of Participation?
- As the number of hospitals seeking JC certification decline, how is CMS proposing to enhance the state’s resources and capacity to provide this additional oversight?
- What is the status of Patient Safety legislation and how will that impact state oversight?
- Do you know of any states that deem for state licensing if hospitals meet COP’s?
- What areas does CMS see as needing improvement in the federal oversight of hospitals?
- Does CMS plan to align hospital COP’s with critical access hospitals?
- How does CMS keep track of advancements in evidence-based practice?
- How is federal complaint data used to target surveys?