Caring for Your Overall Health

People who have co-occurring issues often experience multiple physical health concerns as well. One of the best things that you can do for your own recovery is visit your primary care physician regularly for check ups and preventive care. If you don’t have a primary care doctor, ask your counselor to refer you to one. Or, try calling the Maine Medical Center Physician Referral Service at 1-877-281-5108.

They can refer you to a doctor in your area. If you are a Maine Care member, you can ask the referral service if the doctor accepts Maine Care or Medicare. It’s hard to recover from a mental health concern or a substance use issue if you are not physically well. Be sure to let your doctor know that you’re in recovery, and explain what that means, so that any medications prescribed for you are consistent with your treatment.