How Can we Get Help?

Information for Consumers

on this page:


How Can You Get Help?

First, congratulate yourself! To decide that you may want help is the first big step in the recovery process. There are many places to begin.

  • Call the Maine Warm Line. Here you’ll find a peer support person you can talk with and they can probably refer you to a counselor who can help.  1-866–771-9276. In the Portland area call (207)772-9376
  • If you feel in crisis, call 1-888-568-1112
  • Call 211 or visit their website External site disclaimer and ask for a nearby agency or counselor who can treat both mental health and substance abuse issues  
  • Call your local mental health or substance abuse agency, but be sure to ask if they provide integrated services for both conditions. If not, ask them if they can refer you to an agency that does.
  • Talk with your primary care doctor if you have one. He or she may be able to make a referral to an agency or counselor

Keep trying! If all else fails, call the Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Information and Resource Center ((207)287-8901) and they will help direct you to an agency that treats co-occurring issues.