Sanford--Neighborhood Stabilization Program
The City of Sanford received Neighborhood Stabilization Program dollars for the Sanford Mill, located at 61 Washington Street, which was a vacant, abandoned mill located in downtown Sanford. Built in 1915, the building sits on the northwest corner of the Sanford Mill Historic District and is the nearest mill building to the center of town. The historic significance of the building, its prominent location, and the level of decay made the Sanford Mill a primary focus of the City's efforts to revitalize and transform the mill area, a severely underutilized and blighted area immediately adjacent to the central business. The City received approximately $3.9 million dollars in NSP funding to support the redevelopment of the Sanford Mill into 40 unites of affordable rental housing.