Juniper Ridge Landfill
The Juniper Ridge Landfill is owned by the State of Maine and is part of the solid waste disposal system within the state that provides for Maine's solid waste disposal needs. Juniper Ridge Landfill accepts residues from waste-to-energy facilities, construction/demolition debris and other wastes generated within the State.
Juniper Ridge Landfill is operated by New England Waste Services of Maine, LLC, a subsidiary of Casella Waste Systems.
Background on the Landfill:
In 1989, the Maine Legislature banned new commercial solid waste disposal facilities and placed the responsibility for providing future disposal capacity on the State itself. In accordance with this policy, in 2003, the Legislature directed the State to acquire the Juniper Ridge Landfill in Old Town, Maine to address the solid waste disposal needs of Maine residents and businesses. (Juniper Ridge Timeline - DOC 29KB)
Exploring the Juniper Ridge Landfill - (PDF - 255KB) - graphic - Bangor Daily News, June 2010.
For more information on Juniper Ridge Landfill, please see options below:
- Juniper Ridge Monthly Reports (includes status overview of major activities at the landfill
during the past month, waste deliveries, financial benefit
report and other records).
Reports are posted for a twelve month period. If you wish to obtain older reports please email your request to Michael Barden.
- November 2014
2014 Reports +
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
2013 Reports +
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- Hide Reports -
- Juniper Ridge Annual Reports:
- Juniper Ridge Operating Services Agreement and related documents. Use drop down menu below to select document.
- Juniper Ridge Landfill - Virtual Tour (5.22MB PDF) Developed and provided by Casella Waste Systems, Inc.
- Location of Juniper Ridge (courtesy GoogleEarth)
- Assessment of State-owned Landfill Management and Oversight (PDF 3.02MB) - Report to the Natural Resources Committee - February 5, 2010 . Letters related to this report from the Town of Norridgewock received on February 5, 2010 and the City of Old Town received on February 19, 2010.
- Juniper Ridge Powerpoint (PDF 2.2MB) - Persentation to the Natural Resources Committee, June 2010.
- Maine Solid Waste Capacity Powerpoint (PDF 377KB) - Presentation to the Natural Resources Committee, June 2010.
- City of Old Town - Juniper Ridge Landfill and Landfill Advisory Committee Information
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection - Juniper Ridge Landfill
- More than a landfill - (Youtube)
Information will be added to this website as it becomes available.