Home → Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Starting a Business
- There seem to be a number of programs I might be eligible for but I don't know where to start. Is there someone who can guide me?
- How do I start a business in Maine?
- I need a business plan. Where can I find help to write one?
- Do I need to register my business with the State?
- How do I make sure my business name is unique?
- How do I trademark my business name or logo with the State of Maine? With the US government?
- What are the differences among the various types of business entities like sole proprietorships, partnerships, limited liability companies, corporations, and Sub-S Corps?
- How do I determine which type of business entity—sole proprietorship or limited liability corporation, say—is right for me?
Information for Employers
- What do I need to do for the US Government to become an employer?
- What do I need to do for the State of Maine to become an employer?
- How do I register a business for state income tax withholding?
- How do I determine if my business needs to collect sales tax?
- How do I register to collect sales tax, and how does the payment process work?
- Do I need a sales tax identification number? How do I get one?
Regulations and Permits
- How do I identify the specific Maine regulations and required permits that apply to my business?
- Do I need a license or permit to operate my business? Where do I get it?
- How do I find the Federal regulations that apply to my business?
- What permits do I need to start a home-based food business?
- Which labor posters I need to display in the workplace and how do I get them?