Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do for the State of Maine to become an employer?

After you have an EIN you will need to sign up with State of Maine withholding. You will likely need to obtain Worker’s Compensation Insurance on your employees as well, and eventually you will have to sign up with the State of Maine Unemployment Division.

If your business will have employees you will likely be required to register for an unemployment compensation tax number with the Department of Labor. In order to do so you must contact the Department of Labor’s Unemployment Compensation Tax Division or register online through MERIS at

Maine Department of Labor
Unemployment Compensation Tax Division
47S State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
Telephone: (207) 624-5120
The definition of an “employee” and more information about this requirement can be found in the Department of Labor’s Employer's Guide to Maine Unemployment Laws.