Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do for the US Government to become an employer?

The first step is to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). If you already have an EIN you will need to notify the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that you wish to activate as an employer. This starts the process of setting you up with federal withholding and unemployment.

You are required to register for a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) if you:

  • Pay wages to one or more employees
  • Are required to have an EIN to use on a specific return, statement or document (often banks will require this for business checking account)
  • Plan to incorporate (in which case owners drawing salaries are considered employees)

If your company meets one or more of these requirements, please complete and return Form SS-4 available from:

Internal Revenue Service
Telephone: 1-800-829-3676