City of Saco
The City of Saco, located at Maine's south coast gateway, has been praised for retaining its small city character and high quality of life. Traditionally a mill city, Saco was at leader of textile manufacturing in the industrial age. Thanks to diversification of the city's economy and the hard work of its citizens, Saco is thriving once again. To small entrepreneurs, big corporations, and business owners of all sorts, Saco is widely appreciated for its quality labor force, variety of affordable sites for business growth, and a decidedly pro-business attitude.
A Main Street Maine Community, Saco is proud of its beautiful Main Street/Pepperell Square shopping area, promoted by Saco Spirit through a number of annual festivals and community events. There are also has two modern retail shopping centers, offering of grocery stores, department stores and more. Attractive lease rates are even available on Main Street, which typically has a few choice store-fronts. Second and third-story offices in the Downtown are an ideal option for services such as photographers, artists' studios, and more.
Saco's Mill Brook Business Park is an exciting option for new businesses. Access to Route One and I-95 makes it an ideal location for offices, as well as light industrial plants. Saco's business park lots range from 2 to 10 acres and larger. Protective covenants assure a high aesthetic quality of development.
Saco's professional economic development staff works closely with businesses expanding or locating in the city. The Development Director helps expanding and relocating businesses find a building to lease or a lot to build upon. Promoting business expansion takes many forms, including assisting with state and local permits, helping with business finance, and helping with infrastructure requirements.
Saco at a Glance...
- New Joint branding with City of Biddeford and Chamber and
New E.D. website www.sacosites.com
- Expanded financing at Biddeford Saco Economic
- Age Friendly Community Assessment under way
- Fast growth of Amtrak passenger service
Name: Peter Morelli, Development Director
Highlights from the review Team
- Significant investments in downtown redevelopment efforts and infrastructure
- Updated Comprehensive Plan with impressive track record
- Extensive collaboration with Biddeford Saco Economic Development Council
- Skilled workforce partnerships
- Streamlined permitting process/timeline
- Positive use of social media