NOTE: This position has been approved for the use of GI Bill benefits
Are you a Maine veteran looking to continue your service in your home state? Do you desire to learn the skills necessary to obtain a job in the conservation field and put them to the test? Are you searching for a new mission? If so, the MCC has the position to meet your goals!
Community Leaders serve for a minimum of 1700 hours, approximately 10 months, from January through November. Community Leaders begin their term of service with the MCC in an 11-week training program designed to leverage existing leadership talents and develop new skills. Training topics typically include:
- Volunteer Management Coursework
- Leadership and Communication
- Grant Writing
- CPR/First Aid Certification
- Trail Layout and Design
- Griphoist and Rigging Operations
- Chainsaw Safety Training Certification
- Stone and Timber Work
Upon successful completion of training, Community Leaders are placed with Maine federal, state or non-profit organizations to:
- Create new sustainable trails and rehabilitate existing trails
- Recruit, train, and lead volunteers to create and improve recreational trail systems with a focus on recruiting and training other veterans as community volunteers
- Establish a sustainable, dedicated community volunteer base
- Develop plans for future conservation projects
VCL uses a slick to plane wood for native timber bench.
- Past or present service with the US Armed Forces and have a DD214 with honorable discharge
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 18 years old and older
- US Citizen
- Agree to criminal and sex offender background checks
- Interested, willing, and able to live and perform strenuous work under challenging outdoor conditions
- Desire to learn, serve others, and make a difference
- Follow directions
- Responsible and reliable
- Good communication skills
- Excellent work ethic
- Possess motivation and initiative
- Interest in personal growth and in participating in on-going training
- Eligible for AmeriCorps and able to complete term of service
Sound like a good fit?
The MCC accepts applications year-round. They are considered for the next term of after receipt.
Read about the current opportunities.
Apply Now - Register & Apply Using AmeriCorps Application
Have questions about our AmeriCorps program?
- FAQs on Veterans and AmeriCorps (Word 31 KB)
- 2015 Opportunities Community Leaders Positions (PDF 69 KB)
For further information on the application process contact:
Maine Conservation Corps
124 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
(207) 624-6085 or 1-800-245-5627 (Toll Free in Maine)
The Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry provides equal opportunity in employment and programs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Accommodation arrangements must be requested in advance by contacting MCC staff.