Office / GIS Internship
Please note, we are not actively looking to fill this position at this time. The information below is generally what we look for when we seek an office or GIS intern.
The intern will assist MNAP ecologists and data management staff with tasks such as:
- Digitize parcel data for public and private land parcels
- Quality control existing data
- Assist with environmental review
- Transcribe information about the location and status of rare plants and natural communities into the MNAP's databases
- Respond to information and publication requests
- Collect and link landowner information to rare plant and natural community locations
- Maintain and organize rare plant and natural community manual files
- Summarize field survey data
- Contact landowners for permission to inventory and notify landowners of inventory results
- Draft sections of final reports for Natural Resource Inventories, Ecological Reserve Monitoring, and Ecoregional Surveys
Desired Knowledge and Skills
It is desired that the intern will have the following skills or comparable experience:
- Knowledge of GIS and ArcMap 9.X or higher
- Biology background, especially ecology and biology of northeastern biota
- Strong computer skills
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Willingness to work in an office environment
Work Schedule and Wage
The internship will be based at the MNAP office in Augusta. This is a full-time, short-term (3 to 6 month) position and pays $11.00/hour.
To apply for this position, send a cover letter, resume and list of 3 references to Lisa St. Hilaire, Information Manager, Maine Natural Areas Program, 93 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333, (207) 287-8044, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry / Maine Natural Areas Program is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.