Maine Charter School Commission Meeting - January 7, 2014
The Maine Charter School Commission held a meeting on January 7, 2014, at the Cross State Office Building, 111 Sewall Street, Augusta, ME.
I. CALLED TO ORDER:
Chair, Jana Lapoint, called the meeting to order at 9:09 a.m.
II. ROLL CALL:
The following Members were present: Jana Lapoint, Ande Smith, Laurie Pendleton, Mike Wilhelm, John Bird, and Shelley Reed.
Also present: Bob Kautz, Executive Director; Deanne Lavallee, Administrative Assistant; Roger Brainerd, MACS; Judith Jones, MACS; Vicki Wallack, MSMA; Amy Linscott.
Excused: Heidi Sampson
III. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA:
IV. APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
A. December 3, 2013 Business Meeting Minutes
Moved by Shelley Reed, seconded by Ande Smith, and unanimously voted by those present to approve the Business Meeting minutes fromDecember 3, 2013, as written.
V. OFFICERS’ REPORTS:
A. Chair, Jana Lapoint:
B. Vice Chair, Shelley Reed
C. Executive Director:
1. Loan procurement for Harpswell Coastal Academy
- Harpswell Coastal Academy applied for and received a line of credit. Debt mentioned in application – only need to notify Commission. Bob interpreted it was the same as other who have loans. Loan approved for bank by Bob. At pre-opening meeting, told us they were going for a line of credit.
VI: NEW BUSINESS:
- Executive Director Position
Discussion of MCSC Staffing – currently Executive Director and Administrative Assistant 30 and 35 hours per week respectively.
Moved by Ande Smith and seconded by Mike Wilhelm and voted unanimously by those present to defer hiring a full-time executive director.
Moved by Mike Wilhelm and seconded by John Bird and voted unanimously by those present to have a Committee established by Chair in next month to develop options for assistant to the administrative assistant and report to the Commission.
- Jana Lapoint: “As we move into the initial phase of reviewing our applications, I was reminded recently by Bob of the 5 P’s. Perfect planning prevents poor performance.
Our goal is to clarify our questions to better understand what is in each application.
How you reach your final decision of approval or rejection is to weigh the application on how well its mission aligns with the statutes, RFP and rules established by our Commission and Legislature.
And, does its mission serve the needs of the community.
Your notes must also be kept in each application’s file.”
B. Dates, times, places established for In-Person Interviews and Public Hearings to be announced.
Turn in Expense Account Vouchers at the end of the meeting.
IX. PUBLIC COMMENT:
- Vicki Wallack, MSMA, requested a legal opinion on Review Team Interviews not being a public meeting with the school’s governing board present.
- Roger Brainerd and Judith Jones, MACS, reminder of Charter Schools Day – Monday, January 27, 2014, Hall of Flags from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Moved by John Bird; seconded by Mike Wilhelm and voted unanimously by those present to adjourn the meeting at 10:31 a.m.