Maine Charter School Commission Meeting - September 11, 2012
The State Charter School Commission held a meeting on September 11, 2012, at the Cross State Office Building, 111 Sewall Street, Augusta, Maine. The following members were present: Richard (Dick) Barnes; Jana Lapoint; Shelley Reed; and William Shuttleworth.
Excused: James Banks
Also present was: Jennifer Pooler, Department of Education; John Bird (Commission nominee)
CALLED TO ORDER:
Chair, Jana Lapoint called the meeting to order at 1:00 PM.
- Introduction of John Bird as the newest member of the Commission pending appointment by the State Board of Education at its Sept 19 meeting.
- Dr. Lynda Doyle resigned from the Commission, effective September 5, 2012. She is expected to be replaced by Heidi Sampson who should be appointed by the State Board of Education at its Sept 19 meeting.
ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA:
- Discuss and approve FY 14/15 biennial budget proposal
- Discuss and approve which option to use for hiring executive director and administrative assistant
- Discuss Fiddlehead timeline
- Baxter Academy for Technology and Science revised application due Sept 30
MOVED by Shelley Reed, seconded by Richard Barnes, and unanimously voted by those present to include the proposed adjustments to the agenda.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
MOVED by William Shuttleworth, seconded by Richard Barnes, and unanimously voted by those present to approve the minutes from the August 7, 2012 meeting.
Chair, Jana Lapoint
- Memorial Service for Don Mordecai will be Saturday, Sept. 22, 11am, at the Trinity Episcopal Church in Castine. Also received a note from Don’s wife, Pat.
- Cornville Regional Charter School held it’s lottery on Sept. 5. Jana Lapoint, William Shuttleworth and James Banks were present. It was a very clear selection process; bingo balls assigned to children’s names.
- MeANS will be opening on Oct 1. No lottery was necessary there.
- August 20, the State Board members of the Commission met to select a candidate for recommendation to the Commission. 5 interviews were held on August 28. John Bird was unanimously selected by the State Board members and presented to the Ed Committee on Sept 5 and received their full support.
- Sept 20 and 21-workshop will be hosted by National Governors’ Association, Center for Best Practices, and MACS for authorizers and potential founders. Commission members should register and pay on your own and submit for reimbursement on your expense voucher.
- One Letter of Intent has been received to date – Heartwood Charter School in Kennebunk, middle school arts theme.
Vice-chair, Richard Barnes
Consideration of the FY 14/15 biennial budget proposal
- Full time executive director
- Full time administrative assistant
- Stipends for Commission members
MOVED by Richard Barnes, seconded by Shelley Reed, and unanimously voted by those present to accept and submit the FY 14/15 biennial budget proposal.
- Consideration of option to use for hiring executive director and administrative assistant
- RFP for Payroll services only
- Executive Director
- Hours – flexibility (20 hours)
- Pay scale ($37.50/hour)
- Request quotes for temporary services (candidate and payroll)
- Administrative Assistant
- Hours – flexibility (20 hours)
- Pay scale ($15.00/hour)
MOVED by Shelley Reed, seconded by Richard Barnes, and unanimously voted by those present to approve the submittal of the RFP for payroll services for the Executive Director and request for quotes for temporary services.
- Discuss Fiddlehead School of Arts and Science timeline
- Postponed any formal action to October 2 meeting
Recess at 2:25PM for the Information Session on the Fall 2012 RFP/Application for potential founders.
- Upcoming Meetings – plan for full day (9:00am-3:00pm)
- October 2 – Room 500
- November 6 – Room 500
- December 4 – Room 500
- January 8 – Room 500
- Turn in Expense Account Vouchers at the end of the meeting.
The September 11, 2012 Charter School Commission Business Meeting adjourned at 3:00PM when William Shuttleworth had to leave – no quorum and did not resume. The information session with potential founders continued until 3:30PM
Respectfully submitted by Jennifer Pooler.