Maine Charter School Commission Meeting - August 7, 2012
The State Charter School Commission held a meeting on August 7, 2012, at the Cross State Office Building, 111 Sewall Street, Augusta, Maine. The following members were present: James Banks, Sr.; Richard (Dick) Barnes; Jana Lapoint; Shelley Reed; and William Shuttleworth.
Excused: Lynda Doyle
Also present was: Jennifer Pooler, Department of Education
CALLED TO ORDER:
Chair, Jana Lapoint called the meeting to order at 12:40 PM.
ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA:
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
MOVED by Shelley Reed, seconded by Richard Barnes, and unanimously voted by those present to approve the minutes from the July 31, 2012 meeting.
Chair, Jana Lapoint
Vice-chair, Richard Barnes
Consideration of the letter of withdrawal received from Amy Carlisle of Maine Virtual Academy
MOVED by Shelley Reed, seconded by Jim Banks, and unanimously voted by those present to accept the letter of withdrawal from Maine Virtual Academy.
- Consideration of the for the RFP/Application 2013-14 cycle
- Discussion regarding the possibility of delaying for one month
- Timeline already posted in last year’s RFP
- Need to set a date for the Information Session
- September 11, 2012 – 2-4pm
- Keep email@example.com as the contact for questions
- Add “labels and tabs all sections and exhibits” to format requirements
- Bound sets reduced to 8
- Added clarifying language in the special student population section
- Added clarifying language in governance section
- Added clarifying language in business and financial services section
- Added clarifying language to the virtual school section
MOVED by William Shuttleworth, seconded by Shelley Reed, and unanimously voted by those present to approve the RFP/Application for the 2013-14 cycle as revised.
- Jon Nass (from the Governor’s Office) provided an update on the funding and technical assistance opportunities offered by the National Governor’s Association.
- August 20, 2012 (11:30-12:30) – conference call for Commission
- August 21, 2012 (10:00-11:00) – conference call for potential founders
- September 20 & 21, 2012 – Two day conference for all interested in charter schools (with the assistance of MACS)
- Virtual schools
- Operating a school
- Review and discuss job descriptions and available options for hiring
- Executive Director
- Hours – flexibility (20 hours)
- Pay scale
- Administrative Assistant
- Hours – flexibility (24 hours)
- Pay scale
- Turn in Expense Account Vouchers at the end of the meeting.
MOVED by Jim Banks, seconded by Shelley Reed, and unanimously voted by those present to adjourn the August 7, 2012 State Charter School Commission meeting at 3:36 PM.
Respectfully submitted by Jennifer Pooler.