Maine Charter School Commission Meeting - July 31, 2012
The State Charter School Commission held a meeting on July 31, 2012, at the Cross State Office Building, 111 Sewall Street, Augusta, Maine. The following members were present: James Banks, Sr.; Richard (Dick) Barnes; Lynda Doyle; Jana Lapoint; Shelley Reed; and William Shuttleworth.
Also present were: Jennifer Pooler, Department of Education; Sarah Forster, Attorney General's office
CALLED TO ORDER:
Chair, Jana Lapoint called the meeting to order at 9:10 AM.
ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA:
- Add approval of the Minutes of the July 17, 2012 meeting
- Letter of withdrawl from Maine Connections Academy
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
MOVED by Jim Banks, seconded by Shelley Reed, and unanimously voted by those present to approve the minutes from the June 29, July 2, and July 17, 2012 meetings.
Chair, Jana Lapoint
- Very excited to be signing the first two charter contracts.
- Special thanks to Deb Friedman, Sarah Forster, William Shuttleworth, Dick Barnes, Shelley Reed, Jim Banks, Lynda Doyle and Jennifer Pooler for their work.
- Asked for a motion to accept the letter of withdrawal from Maine Connections Academy.
MOVED by William Shuttleworth, seconded by Shelley Reed, and unanimously voted by those present to accept the letter of application withdrawal for the 2012 cycle and removal of the documents from the Commission’s website from Ruth Summers, chair of the board, for the Maine Connections Academy.
- The deadline from applicants to serve on the Commission is August 10. Please share with anyone who may be interested in serving.
Vice-chair, Richard Barnes
Consideration of the charter contract for the Maine Academy of Natural Sciences
Meeting turned over to Richard Barnes to explain the contract negotiations process with MeANS.
- Very collaborative process
- Four areas of concern from the original application were negotiated
- Governance structure
- Agreed that the Good Will Home Association members on the MeANS board will be in the minority.
- Enrollment and enrollment policy
- How to set the enrollment target/limits especially considering the residential program run by GWH.
- Lottery of applicants
- Interviews not allowed before the lottery
- School closure protocols
MOVED by Richard Barnes, seconded by Shelley Reed, and unanimously voted by those present to accept and sign the negotiated charter contract between the Maine State Charter School Commission and the Maine Academy of Natural Sciences to open October 1, 2012.
- Thank you to the Commission for accomplishing this unprecedented, enormous task. Thank you to the GWH and MeANS teams for their input and support during this process.
Consideration of the charter contract for the Cornville Regional Charter School
Meeting turned over to William Shuttleworth to explain the contract negotiations process with CRCS.
- Key points of the contract –
- Opening day is October 1, 2012 with a maximum of 60 students.
- Negotiated very clear performance indicators that will be benchmarks for student success. Will continue to work toward incorporating the Common Core into their curriculum.
- Justin Belanger has become Executive Director and is no longer on the Board of Directors.
- Agreed that Board of Directors should have an odd number of members as to prevent a tie.
MOVED by William Shuttleworth, seconded by Lynda Doyle, and unanimously voted by those present to accept and sign the negotiated charter contract between the Maine State Charter School Commission and the Cornville Regional Charter School to open October 1, 2012.
- Thank you to the Commission for your work and diligence and for recognizing the hard work and passion that Cornville has put into this process. Thank you on behalf of the kids for the amazing opportunity you have provided them with.
- Thank you for giving the folks in Cornville a chance to do what they can do.
- Both of the charter schools approved today can serve as models for other rural schools across the country serving at-risk or underserved students in truly unique ways.
- Turn in Expense Account Vouchers at the end of the meeting.
MOVED by Jim Banks, seconded by Shelley Reed, and unanimously voted by those present to adjourn the July 31, 2012 State Charter School Commission meeting at 10:13 AM.
Respectfully submitted by Jennifer Pooler.