Maine Charter School Commission Meeting - June 5, 2012
The State Charter School Commission held a meeting on June 5, 2012, at the Cross State Office Building, 111 Sewall Street, Augusta, Maine. The following members were present: James Banks, Sr.; Richard (Dick) Barnes; Lynda Doyle; Jana Lapoint; Donald Mordecai; Shelley Reed; and William Shuttleworth.
Also present: Jennifer Pooler, Maine Department of Education
CALLED TO ORDER:
Chair, James A. Banks, Sr. called the meeting to order at 1:00 PM.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
MOVED by Shelley Reed, seconded by Donald Mordecai, and unanimously voted by those present to approve the May 29, 2012 minutes.
Chair, James Banks, Sr.
- Received clarification from Sarah Forster re: the review teams. Review teams may meet in closed session to discuss applications; however, all recommendations must be made in public session.
- Please give consideration to training sessions.
- Specific questions for DOE to consult on should be framed and sent to the Commissioner Bowen – he will forward to appropriate DOE staff person.
Vice-chair, William Shuttleworth
- We have received five applications to date.
- Maine Academy of Natural Sciences – complete and assigned to Review Team 3
- Cornville Regional Charter School – complete and assigned to Review Team 2
- Recommendations by review teams –
- Maine Connections Academy and Maine Virtual Academy -
- Not yet prepared to make a recommendation – requires further review and discussion
- Baxter Academy for Technology and Science –
- Require further information from Baxter before making a recommendation
- Jana Lapoint will email her specific questions to John Jaques for response by Thursday, June 7
B. Discuss and approve Performance Indicators, Measures, Metrics and Contract Evaluation Criteria development
MOVED by Shelley Reed, seconded by Jana Lapoint, and unanimously voted by those present to approve the Performance Indicators, Measures, Metrics and Contract Evaluation Criteria as amended.
Donald Mordecai excused at 1:30pm.
- OLD BUSINESS:
- Status update on model Charter Contract
- Meeting set up with Sarah Forster for next week (Richard Barnes, William Shuttleworth)
- Status update on Performance Monitoring
- Shelley Reed compared with Chapter 112 for consistency
- Need to develop an Annual Report template – Shelley will continue working on this
- Site review discussion
MOVED by Richard Barnes, seconded by Lynda Doyle, and unanimously voted by those present to accept the concept of the Performance Monitoring document.
- Continue discussion on questions for the interview phase of the application/approval process
- Good framework
- Extend presentation from applicant to 10 minutes
- Continue discussion of public hearing process
- 90 minute interview; 60 minute public hearing
- June 15 and June 18 are being saved for interviews and hearings
- Turn in Expense Account Vouchers at the end of the meeting.
- What type of questions are you asking the applicant for follow-up? Clarification on budget.
- Would you please provide clarification on the upcoming meeting on the 11th? Business meeting is from 11-12.
- When will Maine Virtual Academy know which date it may have the public hearing? June 7th
MOVED by William Shuttleworth, seconded by Jana Lapoint, and unanimously voted by those present to adjourn the June 5, 2012 State Charter School Commission meeting at 2:16 PM.
Respectfully submitted by Jennifer Pooler.