Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help
Maine Civil War Monuments

Winthrop

Town/County: ¬†Winthrop/Kennebec  
Location: Town Hall, Main Street  
Type:  Soldier Materials: Norridgewock, Quincy, Barre granite
Date Erected: 1911 Date Dedicated: May 30, 1911
Maker/Sculptor: Henry P. Miller of the Winthrop Marble & Granite Works Source of Funding: Womans Relief Corps, Town of Winthrop
Principal inscriptions: Erected By/Albert H. Frost/Womans Relief Corps/No 2 Dept Of Maine/May 30, 1911
References: Industrial Journal, Bangor, September, 1911, p. 6; Annual Reports of the Town of Winthrop, 1912, p. 15; Everett S. Stackpole, History of Winthrop, Maine, Auburn, p. 157
Click on these photos for larger images

Current view

 

Post card, Unveiling of the Winthrop Civil War Monument, May 30, 1911

Post card, Dedication of the Winthrop Civil War Monument, May 30, 1911

 

Post card, 1911, showing the base of the Winthrop Civil War Monument, a piece of ten ton Norridgewock granite cut and finished by, from left to right, Howard Mitchell, Almon H. Blaisdell, Cecil Campbell, and Fred Worthly.