They're back ! (Back to school that is.)
It's that time of year again. Please help protect all children by observing all the laws (MRSA Title 29-A, Chapter 19, Subchapter 4) and rules governing school buses.
Did you know:
- That a school bus operator activates flashing lights 100 feet before a stop is made to receive or discharge passengers.
- That you have to stop and wait anytime* you encounter a school bus on a roadway, in a parking area or on school property if it has stopped with its red lights flashing to receive or discharge passengers. You may not proceed until the school bus resumes motion or until signaled by the school bus operator to proceed.
- That illegally passing a school bus is punishable by a $250 minimum fine for the first offense and a mandatory 30-day license suspension for a 2nd offense occurring within 3 years of the first offense.
- That school buses must stop at all Rail Road crossings.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Be on the lookout for children waiting for the bus.
- Anticipate when buses will be out and allow yourself extra commuting time accordingly.
- Proceed with caution past all school buses, whether lights are activated or not.
- Watch out when travelling past schools or school grounds.
Remember, children are not always looking out for you, so you have to look out for them.
* By law it is not necessary to stop for a school bus when you are separated from it by a curbing or other physical barrier. CAUTION: other motorists may stop even though they don't need to, watch out for them.