Estate Tax FAQs
- 1. Do I have to file a Maine estate tax return?
- 2. How do I file for an extension?
- 3. How do I request a lien release for real and tangible personal property in an estate?
- 4. Does Maine conform to the federal law and regulations regarding the alternate valuation date?
- 5. Is the federal value of an estate automatically accepted as its value for Maine purposes?
- 6. The IRS gives a credit for tax paid on recently inherited assets. Does Maine have a similar credit?
- 7. If a nonresident decedent owns property in Maine and the property qualifies for the estate tax marital deduction, is a Maine return required?
- 8. Can I ask to have interest and penalties waived?
- 9. Maine property in a trust, LLC or pass-through entity is included in the estate of a nonresident decedent. What Maine property held by the trust, LLC or pass-through entity is sourced to Maine under 36 M.R.S.A. § 4104?